Sign in to follow this  

Upgrades from ttr125 for misses choices

The misses has a ttr125 big wheel she wants a little larger bike and a little more power 5.5 120 pounds

I've been trying to narrow down choices no 250 or 450

Drz125 to small

Klx 140 to small

Crf150f maybe not big enoufe of a improvement

Crf150r good but maybe to fast

2t 85 but she has never ride a 2 stroke and I think she is a little worryed bout power band

I have a crf230 to heavy so no ttr230 ether

I'm leaning more towards a 85 2t because it's like 20kg lighter then the others more power better suspension and she dosnt have to be in power band all the time..if I can get her to give one a try

How do the 85s ride off band is there any low or middle power?

Any other I've missed?

Thoughts?

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

I take it urban aggressive ride tho?

She likes to take it easy the old

Little squirt but usually just puts along.. That's another reason want something fast as it can be frustrating for me to ride with her like that.

I was thinking now maybe a kx100

As I've read there is a lot more usable low end power as the 85 has next to none?

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

Id honestly suggest trying out a kdx200.  They can be lowered easily between the suspension and shaving the seat foam down.  Can easily remove like 4 inches.  they are very smooth engines easy to ride slow or fast.  Capable enough to do most any trails and allow her to progress.  They are going to be heavier than an 85 obviously but infitinely easier to ride motor wise. 

If that is an absolute no go I second the kx100 suggestion.  Some flywheel weight, gnarly pipe, and you have a pretty easy to manage engine and much lighter than the kdx.  I was about that height when I got my kdx I was like 12 years old right off an xr100.  It was intimidating and seemed huge at the time but in no time it stops being so scary.  I didn't lower it or anything just learned to get used to it.  I could see how much lowering it increases confidence with many girls though so seriously give it a thought. 

A crf150f is not an improvement at all, even a crf230 is hardly much of an improvement honestly.  all the weight and height of a kdx200 with none of the additional potential. 

Edited by yz133rider

Thanks for the advice I'll look into the 200, I've almost got her sold on a kx100 I showed her a few nice ones and she loving it just because it looks better then the ttr125 so that's a win what ever works to get her on a better bike. And ur right about the women like lower and lighter bikes it helps a lot the kx100 is even taller then she would like but with a lot of nagging I'm managing to claw the ttr away from her.

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

Daughter (5' 4") moved from CRF100F (about same size at TTR125) to KX100 to KDX200. 

Be careful with the KX100 its not a bike to putt around on.  Its got 27-29 hp and weighs 150 lbs (3 times the power of the TTR125 and weighs less).  It requires a completely different type of riding where you have to attack hills and keep the revs up if you are trail riding (gear selection is critical).  We added a Steahly Offroad flywheel weight and put on smaller front countershaft sprocket and larger rear sprocket to gear it lower for trail riding.  KX100's are close ratio 6 spd transmissions and the TTR is a wide ratio 5 spd transmission.

If you have to nag her to move to the KX100....that might be a mistake.  Dont be fooled-  these are really fast bikes.  If she is not real good with a clutch and controlling engine revs it could be a bad result.  I'll give you a typical example.  Newbie rider doesnt rev the 2 stroke enough when letting out the clutch, they sort of dump the clutch faster than they should....bike nearly stalls, coughs, sputters, newbie is still on the throttle because it is stalling and suddenly it cleans out and catches revs and takes off while she is falling off the back and twisting the throttle even further open.  Newbie gets scared and never rides that thing again.  Youtube is filled with videos like these. 

I have a coworker who rides motocross and described watching some guy teaching his girlfriend how to ride on a YZ250 2 stroke in the parking lot at a local track. I believe he said she was wearing shorts, t shirt, and maybe sandals (cringing yet?).  She popped the clutch,,,sputter...riiiippppppppp.....full throttle as her weight shifted...hanging on for dear life for about 75-100 ft before she came off in the gravel parking lot and the bike crashed into a parked vehicle.  She did have helmet but she was injured pretty badly.  Coworker said that people in the lot were super pissed at the boyfriend for being such a dumbass and not seeing that one coming, but they attended to her quickly, and helped load his bike in his truck so he could get her to medical care quickly.   Dont be that guy.

One other direction to consider is something like a CRF150F with big bore and some other mods to increase power.  CRF150F is bigger than TTR125L and would work heightwise for  your wife.  When my daughter started on CRF100F, her brother had a CRF150F which she tried out before moving to KX100.  If I recall correctly she was on her tiptoes (not flat footed) for the CRF150F.  Your wife is a bit taller and may have longer legs...so she might be closer to flat footing the CRF150F.  Modificiations can get pricey quick, but with maybe just a better free flowing exhaust, jetting, airbox mods you might be able to get more power out of it.  Beyond that, you can consider bigger bore cylinder and piston ($450 plus), better carb, headwork, etc.

I thought about a crf150f but to get good powers out of it I could spend more then a grand.. It would cost the same or less to by a crf150r and it would be better in everyway and Being a 4 stroke would be easyer for her to ride but she dosnt like a heavy bike that's y leading towards a 2 stroke close 20 kg lighter and much. Cheaper even with a top end rebuild

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx

And she been riding two years so she Has the basics down pat

98 yz125

2004 ttr125

2006 crf230

2001 ktm520 sx