Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F - Essential tool kits and where you keep them

New to the forum, I apologize if this topic that has been discussed at length but, I have some questions to ask about the CRF 230 F:

1. What kind of tools are you carrying and where do you keep them?
  2. What is a great metric tool kit for a good price?
  3. What is an amazing bag solution that straps to a CRF and will fit a decent tool kit?

Extra info

•  I have a Baja Designs headlight so a large front fender bag will not be ideal.
  •  I own a lot of nice tools and would like to keep them in my tool box.
  •  Stellar product info, where you got it for a deal, and pictures are well appreciated!

New to the forum, I apologize if this topic that has been discussed at length but, I have some questions to ask about the CRF 230 F:

1. What kind of tools are you carrying and where do you keep them?
  2. What is a great metric tool kit for a good price?
  3. What is an amazing bag solution that straps to a CRF and will fit a decent tool kit?

Extra info

•  I have a Baja Designs headlight so a large front fender bag will not be ideal.
  •  I own a lot of nice tools and would like to keep them in my tool box.
  •  Stellar product info, where you got it for a deal, and pictures are well appreciated!

I own a 230F as well.  I don't regularly carry tools on the trail with me because the bike is a beast and doesn't generally have any issues.  I do however have my toolbox in my truck which is a craftsman set.  They aren't super expensive and are pretty reliable, I think.  

If I were to carry tools I'd be just carrying them in a backback...A small one, I wouldn't want bags on my bike.  

I'm probably not much help but that's what I think :)

• Like 1

8, 10, and 12 mm wrench, adjustable crescent, spare plug, and duct tape would be wise.  Things like tire irons, air pump, and spare tubes would be good as well.  First aid kit.

Edited by mossman77

I have a small bag attached to my rear fender just like the old XRs used to have.  I carry lots of tie wraps, 6" adjustable, All-In-One screwdriver, axle wrench, and plug wrench.  A spare set of levers would be a very smart move.

I have NEVER used any of my tools for our CRF230s while away from the garage.  These bikes just do not break or fail.  My tools have been used to help many others though.

I will post a picture of my bag when I get home later today.

IMG_0772 (Large).JPG

IMG_0773 (Large).JPG

Edited by VortecCPI

Thanks everyone. I just ordered an O'Neal rear fender bag with room to throw some tools and small personal items in.

The O'Neal fender bag is nice, I have one. If you use an XR headlight it will fit the front fender.

But an Ogio 450 fanny pack carries more and is better organized, it also has a waterproof pocket for you wallet, phone, etc, and an expandable pouch for different size water bottles.  And an expandable  pouch that will store  a rain jacket or poncho. All in all my favorite, I even considered converting one to a fender or a number plate pack.

Tusk makes a nice rear fender pack that is a lot like the old XR fenderpack but is HD Codura and seems better sealed. I have one on my X but I don't pack much in it.

Another option, or addition, is the MSR Roost Pack that attaches to your chest protectors, very convenient for maps, snacks, and frequently used tools like a special screw driver for adjusting the mixture screw.

As far as tools I pack to fix most of the problems I've had in the past, and I test each new tool before hand to make sure it works (I don't like surprises on the trail that could cause a long walk).  A point; it  is difficult to change master links on a ring chain so practice at home so you have the correct tools in your pack and understand the process (MotionPro makes an Al chain press tool for packing). I also try to keep the pack as light as possible so I use Motion Pro aluminum T6 tire iron/box wrenches (for axles), and titanium box/end wrenches, sheet metal type spark plug wrench (Honda OEM), etc.

I hate doing tire repairs in the woods so one bike has Tubliss systems front and rear, I just carry a plug kit that allows finishing the ride.  But you need to follow up with a patch inside over the plug or the tire casing will leak. Progressive Suspension makes a nice compact light weight tire pump with a gauge.

So you also need:

duct tape (I make a small roll on a piece of tubing),

nylon wire ties,

some safety wire,

vinyl electrical tape,

quick set expoxy or JB weld for water pump or case repair.

Bark buster type hand guards mean no more bent or broken levers so you won't need to carry spares or buy expensive hinged levers.  And most important you have protection for your hands.

• Like 1