Sign in to follow this  

Why aren't the bikes dropping weight?

My son has an 07 crf250 and I was looking at getting back into riding so I have been looking around for different bikes. I was surprised to learn that the bikes have gotten heavier over the years. I have been out of the sport for quite awhile but I thought manufacturers would find ways to drop weight on the newer bikes. According to specs my son's bike weighs in around 215 and I was comparing it to a 2013 kx250f which weighs over 230! Is it more durable beefy construction or something else that has packed on the lbs? Not that I can criticize too much as I have done the same thing over the years.

• Like 2

My son has an 07 crf250 and I was looking at getting back into riding so I have been looking around for different bikes. I was surprised to learn that the bikes have gotten heavier over the years. I have been out of the sport for quite awhile but I thought manufacturers would find ways to drop weight on the newer bikes. According to specs my son's bike weighs in around 215 and I was comparing it to a 2013 kx250f which weighs over 230! Is it more durable beefy construction or something else that has packed on the lbs? Not that I can criticize too much as I have done the same thing over the years.

The 07s is carbureatored correct? and the newer bikes are fuel injected which did add some pounds

I wouldn't have thought FI would add that much weight but I'm getting more used to being wrong. .

The curb weight of a '07 crf250r is more then 215.  I would beat it weighs 10 pounds more than that.

• Like 1

Years ago manufactures claimed weights were dry weights.  The weight of a bike with no fluids.  Most manufactures today give a wet or curb weight.  A bike oiled fueled up and ready to ride.

Four strokes are heavier than two strokes……

Many bikes today have an e-start button where years ago there were few.

• Like 2

I looked up specs on crf. Honda claimed 204! Then listed actual dry weight of 215. I think it was dirt rider review

Years ago manufactures claimed weights were dry weights.  The weight of a bike with no fluids.  Most manufactures today give a wet or curb weight.  A bike oiled fueled up and ready to ride.

Four strokes are heavier than two strokes……

Many bikes today have an e-start button where years ago there were few.

That e start button really weigh that much ?  :smirk: 

Um estart, camshafts and fuel injection... Yep new bikes are getting kinda porky

I think manufactured used to outright lie about the weight of their bikes. I think they still do but they used to too you know. I've weight pretty much all of my bikes and they are all significantly heavier than what the manufacturer claimed weight is. But also I weigh them full of fuel and ready to ride

Think about power to weight ratio though. Bikes are getting heavier but very fast....

Let me say, my 95 440 2t with oversized tank, felt just as heavy as the 04 450 exc.

450 doesn't have the power of the 440 though. But its a nice bike. Its got enough to get in trouble with. Not too heavy either. Now compare a xr400 to a crf 450 ??? Big difference.

I read an article in a bike mag a while back where they spared no expense to make a CRF250R as light as possible. They used Ti bolts, axles and footpegs, carbon fiber subrame and tank, etc. Seems like they saved 20 lbs or so for a cost of about $20K. According to their test riders the bike was simply amazing.

I believe that the manufacturers have made bikes as light as possible while still providing the strength and rigidity required using the least expensive materials. Added to that is the weight of the features demanded by the consumer such as FI and e-start.

Agreed that they lie about weight, the same as they lie about horsepower.

• Like 1

Agreed that they lie about weight

I think we all lie about weight. Lol
  • Like 1

Any one remember the CR125 of the '70's? I'm thinking like 180#

Mike

4 strokes will do that, and another reason is because they already took off so much weight they could. look at mitch payton, roger decoster, they sit there all day looking for new ways to loose weight. i think they finally found out that they cut out all the weight they could until the bike wasn't safe with parts and frames breaking. good ol' 2 stoke would solve that right up.  :thumbsup: