Cr250 in need of a full rebuild seriously?

My 2003 cr 250 kept fouling plugs last summer. Got harder to kick each ride and fouled plugs more and more often, until it got to the point I couldn't actually take it down the road without fouling. Took it to the honda shop figuring it be something simple like the jetting or power valves, turns out it needs piston and rings. And they also said the bottom end needs to be done too because the crank isn't within spec, and I have a crack in my cyclinder head ! FFs seriously this is bs, it worked so damn good to I don't understand. 2800$ they quoted me for the full engine rebuild. This is a joke the bike isn't even worth 2800 $ + the forks are pitted and will need repair soon

Do it yourself for a fraction of the price.

A manual, flywheel puller, case splitter, torque wrench, and a basic set of tools and you can do it yourself.

If you have decent wrenching skills you can handle the job. If not there are plenty of shops in Cali who can handle the work, and for quite a bit less than the Honda shop. Check out the Honda 2t forum, some pretty experienced CR guys in there and several rebuild threads

2nd opinion can't hurt

My 2003 cr 250 kept fouling plugs last summer. Got harder to kick each ride and fouled plugs more and more often, until it got to the point I couldn't actually take it down the road without fouling. Took it to the honda shop figuring it be something simple like the jetting or power valves, turns out it needs piston and rings. And they also said the bottom end needs to be done too because the crank isn't within spec, and I have a crack in my cyclinder head ! FFs seriously this is bs, it worked so damn good to I don't understand. 2800$ they quoted me for the full engine rebuild. This is a joke the bike isn't even worth 2800 $ + the forks are pitted and will need repair soon

Piston Kit=$120

OEM crank (use the 05-07 crank)=$205

Random gaskets and bearings= $100

Cylinder Head= $75

Total= $500 for all OEM replacement parts, and that's not even at dealer cost.  That means that shop is looking to charge you over $2300.00 in labor for what amounts to a 5 hour job.  That's $460 an hour labor.  Bring it by my house and I'll do it for half.  What a joke.

I would definately get a second opinion since so far, you are totally taking their word for everything they said the found wrong.  And, OP you're correct, the bike isn't worth that much but they probably get some takers for a repair like that....Someone who doesn't know any better....Someone who isn't on TT!  

And there's another thread about why dealers are disappearing...Hmmm.

How could the dealer be to blame? The guy rode and rode, and rode, and rode....and rode some more and his bike progressively got worse. To the point where it wouldn't even move. Then he goes on here to bitch about the dealer telling him exactly what it needs....

Dealer:

"Hey, because you're such a shitty mechanic and you rode the bike without doing any maintenance, we are going to have to do a major overall, $2800 for the total"

OP:

"What, it ran perfect! Well that's obviously not my fault then, it must be you. You are a scamming me! All it did was foul plugs. Nothing major, ran perfect!. F'in dealers are a bunch of scam artist."

Yeah, I guess a dealer isn't going to tell anyone,  "Ya know, it's not really worth fixing.  It's gonna cost too much".  Like I said, some owners may bite the bullet and say "go ahead and fix it".  

My local Honda dealer wanted 1800 euro (don't what that is in dollars) for replacing a cylinder and piston and rings on my crf 450, told them to shove it and did it myself for around 600 euro I'f even, only thing it took was my time, and I'm 17 years old and only around bikes for a few years your better of getting a Hynes and doing it yourself

If you can do it yourself, but there are some people that should never ever in the history of ever be allowed to fix their own bikes. Im by no means implying you're one of them, i actually hope you do this yourself, but the rich kid who don't know crap, for the sake of the bike i hope the let the dealers do it

Like was said earlier its seriously at the most 500 in parts for all the parts listed they said you need to replace. a top and bottom rebuild kit with all parts all gaskets is under 300 on ebay for a hot rods crank and namura piston.  Just over 300 is a wiseco piston instead of the namura.  Toss in the price of a head if it cant be repaired and your still under 400.  I think you shouldn't have a tough time finding someone who would do the job for 500 dollars labor.  So your at a grand total being conservative. 2800 lol what a joke.

Edited by yz133rider

Did they take it apart to check the crank. If the plug is oily. It could be n your jeting. Or it could even be a crank seal. Take your jets out and look at them to see if there stock sizes. Especially the pilot jet. If they r. Then check your crank seal on your clutch side. U might get lucky. And if u do sell the bike. Especially if your forks r pitted .

Yeah that's bad news for the forks

Edited by zotis777

"crank is out of spec" would make me say "Thank-you, but I'll be taking my shit back now"

You can buy a set of forks off of ebay for $200-300 dollars to replace your pitted ones. 

As everyone else mentioned, just do the job yourself. 

OP - It sounds like you too have a crack in your head…..

A bike is a mechanical device.  Mechanical devices wear out, stuff breaks.  Stuff needs to be fixed and replaced.  Stuff costs money.  Mechanics who fix stuff cost money.  If you want free stuff join government and mooch off the people….  Otherwise man up, fix it or park it.

I’ll grant you this, it still is a mystery how a new fully assembled bike retails for $8,499 yet if one adds up the price of each part from a parts fiche, the parts alone without assembly cost $17,329?  What gives?

Edited by YHGEORGE

Spot on monk! Couldn't agree more

Lol monk I figured the jetting was off and running to rich how was I to know I had low compression it kicked over fine and it did/does still work just fine when I put in a new plug. And I live in Canada so that 2800 would be like 2300 in the states. Thanks for the input