Has anyone taken theres through extreme terrain?

So me and my buddy never take the easy way we always find ourselves in sticky situations. Has anyone taken the crf250l through extreme terrain? if so how did it do? I took my wr through some horrible things and it held up it was just too damn tall to foot dab and it made it hard to ride the things we like. Im talking about river crossings deep mud big logs ext ext.

yes to all three. I only have a 30" inseam and owned a WR before. For slow trail riding with obstacles I like the CRF better, it is a bit lower and seems to have better torque at low rpms which makes it easier to ride slowly. it also has enough power to keep the rear wheel spinning in 2nd as you slog slowly up soft sand dunes. the WR does have better top end punch when blasting down fire roads, but when you are pushing 50 yrs old going fast isn't as important as getting there in one piece :)

Yeah done it all. The only thing that holds the bike back is my lack of rider talent.

well said. Me and my buddy like slow technical trails and i figured the lower stance of the crf might help if i need to put a foot down. I couldn't tell you  how many times while riding the wr id get caught up on a root and i go to put my foot down and theres nothing but air so i toppled over. Does anyone know if you can modify the crf enough to be equal to a modified wr? I know the rear shock is non rebuildable on the crf but will the race tech rear shock for the crf be just as good as a modified wr rear shock?

Yep. It does alright with the 13t and EJK programmer. In stock form it was frustratingly over geared and under powered. The real trick to handle the nasty stuff is the RaceTech suspension upgrade bits.

Yeah done it all. The only thing that holds the bike back is my lack of rider talent.

I think im going to just do the 305 bb so i don't have to re send in the elk and the race tech suspension then she will be perfect

Edited by kpla51

Put a 305 big bore in it. Turns it into a mountain goat.

Get a gt216x rear and gt216aa front.

Put a Tubliss setup in the rear. Run it at 6 psi.

Will put all other bikes to shame.

Then add race tech, for icing on the cake.

Edited by Positron007

. And what is this cylinder core charge? do you have to send your existing cylinder in and they swap out the core or what? It wasn't to clear on CRF onlys web site, sorry if its a noobish question.

If you send your old cylinder in they give you the core charge back, ie refund you the money

Edited by Positron007

If you send your old cylinder in they give you the core charge back, ie refund you the money

is there a reason why they do this i never saw this on the 290 big bore for the wr. Just curious. is it a recycling type deal or what. I feel so lost haha

Edited by kpla51

You don't have to return it but if you do they reimburse you some money.

Apparently it's not that easy getting cylinders according to bill so he needs spare cylinders.

There is nothing stopping you getting the Takegawa kit

That makes more sense i was going to send mine in regardless. I think i remember reading a thread about how they were having trouble finding cylinders. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

That makes more sense i was going to send mine in regardless. I think i remember reading a thread about how they were having trouble finding cylinders. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

The WR big bore kits require a new cylinder.   They put a steel sleeve in the stock CRF250L cylinders for most big bore kits.

The Takegawa 305cc big kit is a new complete replacement cylinder, no steel sleeve.

well said. Me and my buddy like slow technical trails and i figured the lower stance of the crf might help if i need to put a foot down. I couldn't tell you  how many times while riding the wr id get caught up on a root and i go to put my foot down and theres nothing but air so i toppled over. Does anyone know if you can modify the crf enough to be equal to a modified wr? I know the rear shock is non rebuildable on the crf but will the race tech rear shock for the crf be just as good as a modified wr rear shock?

well, If you're getting caught up in a root on a WR,( w/ generous ground clearance), then you will likely be casing the 250L hard enough to break your ankles given the same circumstances

b/c the crf doesn't have ample ground clearance to speak of. Compare the 250L w/, say, an apples to apples bike, like the 230F, both have similar seat heights @~36", but notice how much lower the ground clearance is on the 250L. It's 1.7" lower than a 230F. So keep that in mind when you are about to throw some coin at suspension upgrades. There's nothing you can really do about increasing high ground clearance, which, if you just stay on service roads or jeep gravel roads or atv wide trails, then high ground clearance isn't a priority. but for tough, technical single tracks, going over logs and rutted out climbs w/ exposed stair step roots and ledges are fairly common. this is where the 250L has its  short comings.

Now as far as comparing how much better a racetech shock vs a modified Wr shock is, first, you need to compare the overall suspension travel between the two bikes. Obviously, one advantage of the 250L is in its lower seat height vs. the WRR. There's no mystery here in where Honda had to cut to get the seat height lower. As such, the 250L is operating from suspension travel that's been shortened or lowered from the factory. You're never going to get shortened suspension travel to equal longer suspension travel as far as comfort is concerned, all things being equal. THat's not to say that short suspension is all bad. Short suspension lowers centroid mass of the bike, therefore it is a better handling bike, which a longer suspension bike cannot achieve, all things being equal. so you have to decide what is a priority w/ your riding style, skill set, and where you ride, and then modify from there. It's all a give and take.

when i say caught up i mean the back tire would loose traction on stair step roots and not catch on the root so i would have to put my foot down. And the local honda dealership said they would instal the bb kit for 300 bucks. Iv worked on 4 strokes before but something about the bike being new urkes me. I don't want to accidentally mess something up.

I understood what you meant.

Lack of ground clearance has never been a problem for me on any trail, with the 305 you can lift the front wheel or double blip over anything. Really comes down to learning a few skills.

I understood what you meant.

Lack of ground clearance has never been a problem for me on any trail, with the 305 you can lift the front wheel or double blip over anything. Really comes down to learning a few skills.

blipping with the xr650r is cake lol but thats good to hear the 305bb will help this bike do that! Does 300 for a shop to install the bb reasonable? IDK if i should try and tackle it myself I'm just worried since its a new bike and they can probably get it done 3x faster. Im limited in the tools department.

Edited by kpla51

I don't know what the hourly rate is for bike mechanics in the US but they shouldn't charge more than 4 hours work.

$300 seems ok to me.

Once you get the big bore put a gt216x tyre on the rear. It will turn it into a climbing machine. Keep that one a secret from your buddy. No more getting stuck on roots.

Muah hahahahahaha

Edited by Positron007

Once you get the big bore put a gt216x tyre on the rear. It will turn it into a climbing machine. Keep that one a secret from your buddy. No more getting stuck on roots.

Muah hahahahahaha

sounds good! Just saving up for everything so i can do it all at one time.