2003 KLX400 Best Jet Kit?

Picked up a 2003 KLX400 for 1000.00. From what I understand, its the Suzuki DRZ 400E in greeen clothing.  It has the Yoshimura add on and thats about all. Some change of plastics, but stock otherwise. What is the best carb jet kit to get? The JD kit or DJ kit? I have a print out of the DJ kit and have owned bikes for over 30 years so not afraid of doing the mod myself, just want to put whats the best for this application in. Elevation around 5600ft above sea level. I hear people talking about the 3x3 air box mod and a "free power mod". Having a little hard time finding out what the details are on that. Not looking for some outrageous horsepower, I have my 1125R for that, just want to make a nice bike more user friendly so to speak. Plan on doing the loc tite to misc nuts, bolts etc as I have come across on TT, so that will be covered. Input would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

The above mods have their own threads on here. All easy to find info. I suggest the JD Jetting kits.

What part of Nevada are you from. The altitude is twice that of where I am at in Vegas.

If you have the FCR you don't really need the jet kit.  You can buy the needle and proper jets individually and save some $.  The "free power mod" is designed to get higher voltage to the battery by eliminating a problematic connector.  Your bike already has the 3x3 opening in the air box, you just need to take the snorkel out.  Do that when you jet the carb. 

If you have the FCR you don't really need the jet kit.  You can buy the needle and proper jets individually and save some $.  The "free power mod" is designed to get higher voltage to the battery by eliminating a problematic connector.  Your bike already has the 3x3 opening in the air box, you just need to take the snorkel out.  Do that when you jet the carb. 

The above mods have their own threads on here. All easy to find info. I suggest the JD Jetting kits.

What part of Nevada are you from. The altitude is twice that of where I am at in Vegas.

npm; not sure what carb I have, I will have to look at it tonight. Is the DJ kit compatible for both bikes under their respecitve names? Got a place to start on the jetting?

Jim; I am in Spring Creek. A healthy drive north of you. Nice riding areas, if the weather holds out once in a while. You mentioned the JD kit. Not sure of your elevation in Vegas, but you have some input on jetting? 

Thanks fellas.

I have JD jets with FCR in my KLX. Runs like a champ, my house is almost exactly a mile high.

npm; not sure what carb I have, I will have to look at it tonight. Is the DJ kit compatible for both bikes under their respecitve names? Got a place to start on the jetting?

Jim; I am in Spring Creek. A healthy drive north of you. Nice riding areas, if the weather holds out once in a while. You mentioned the JD kit. Not sure of your elevation in Vegas, but you have some input on jetting? 

Thanks fellas.

if it's got an OEM Fcr.....

I suggest NOT getting a jet kit..your wasting cash......the main item your looking at is another needle, and the stock needle isn't too bad....

First thing to do is check what the current carb has got installed, needle code is stamped on needle,(stock is OBDXP)..... likewise with main jet.....

If you want a better performance needle, purchase an OCEMP needle from Jetrus or Sudco etc..Also require a 150 main jet.....

So best thing to do is check what's installed and report back....

I suggest NOT getting a jet kit..your wasting cash......the main item your looking at is another needle, and the stock needle isn't too bad....

First thing to do is check what the current carb has got installed, needle code is stamped on needle,(stock is OBDXP)..... likewise with main jet.....

If you want a better performance needle, purchase an OCEMP needle from Jetrus or Sudco etc..Also require a 150 main jet.....

Craigo; Thanks. Will do.

Craigo is the man with the answers on how to jet.  To answer the compatibility question about the kits; the DRZ came with two carbs, the Keihin FCR for the E version and the Mikuni BSR for the S and SM versions.  The kits are not interchangeable between the two brands of carbs. 

JD kit on my KLX (FCR). Best simple mod to do. Yes, you could buy a needle and a few jets, but the KIT has choices. My full Muzzy system doesn’t hurt either!

Yes, do the lock-tite mods. I found my stator bolts “not so tight”…I also had to do the water pump mod to stop the small “weeping”. 

Aslo check the steering bearings: mine had almost zero grease when new and the bearings rusted, fell apart with less than 250 miles!

Rear suspension dog bone bearing were pretty dry too!

Welcome to the Green side of life!

Edited by MR Honda

Craigo is the man with the answers on how to jet.  To answer the compatibility question about the kits; the DRZ came with two carbs, the Keihin FCR for the E version and the Mikuni BSR for the S and SM versions.  The kits are not interchangeable between the two brands of carbs.

Plus one on this

CRAIGO is the Man :aussy:

I could only make suggestions on the Mukuni carb. +1 to all the other advice. Once you know what you have it will be easier to deal with!

FCR. Going to get it apart this weekend, hopefully. Anything else that you recommend to do with this carb to help the bike?