Sign in to follow this  

2009 Kx250f Loud Valve Noise

I have an 09' Kx250f with a brand new head / valves / springs / retainers / seats, the whole 9. It only has about 8-9 Hours of ride time on them and I've noticed the more time I put on the bike, the louder the valve clatter is getting. I've checked the clearance and they are all in spec. Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this noise and why its getting louder? Doesn't make any sense to me considering its all practically brand new! I don't even want to ride it for fear of failure on the face of a jump or in the air.. and everyone knows if you don't have confidence in your machine you can't ride it. Is this a normal occurrence?  

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  

Is the timing chain tensioner working correctly ?

My 07 was pretty noisy before I had new SS valves and high rev springs installed, along with a serdi valve seat cuts. And it's still noisy as hell with all brand new parts. It's the nature of the beast haha

My 07 was pretty noisy before I had new SS valves and high rev springs installed, along with a serdi valve seat cuts. And it's still noisy as hell with all brand new parts. It's the nature of the beast haha

Its progressively gotten louder though. Its gotten to the point where i'm uncomfortable to ride it. 

Like I said all the parts are pretty much brand new factory issued parts. 

I was told that it could be the lubricant's I'm using not being of high enough quality but that also doesn't make sense considering I use Motul (Sorry if i misspelled that) which here in Tx is $14 a quart.... 

Was just hoping that someone would have an explanation before I tear it apart again.. 

Anyways, thanks for the feed back guys! 

@Shawn250 it has a brand new tensioner as well... 

Just tear it down and inspect parts,

If there isn't any abnormal wear, then I really wouldn't worry about it

Motul is good oil so i dont think it will be the oil.

Take the cams out and reassemble, make sure your torque settings are correct, valve clearances correct (not bigger than spec) , check that the chain goes tight when the tensioner is applied, make sure the timing is spot on.