2002 CR125 carb choice

I recently got a 2002 CR125 that needed a rebuild. I will be finishing it this week to go ride on the weekend. But before I do I have a question. If my goal is to have a broader powerband, should I swap the stock carb with the old 38mm Mikuni that came on my 05' CR250? Should I even bother? I also go my hands on a 2005 CR125 airboot.

Edited by Crazyced

I recently got a 2002 CR125 that needed a rebuild. I will be finishing it this week to go ride on the weekend. But before I do I have a question. If my goal is to have a broader powerband, should I swap the stock carb with the old 38mm Mikuni that came on my 05' CR250? Should I even bother? I also go my hands on a 2005 CR125 airboot.

Swap in the 05 airboot and then take the JD Jetting 38mm pwk off of your 05 250 and put it on the 125.  Put a 48 pilot in it (if you are running at sea level) and then the Blue needle in the 4th clip position with a 182 or 185(maybe as rich as 188) main.  If you do that, you will be ordering another JD carb for the 125 :)

Edited by frdbtr

Just to report, it seems like the previous owner already swapped the carb to a 38mm. Although I didn't check for any numbers or markings, I measured the throat with a caliper and it came out as high 37mm so presumably it's a 38mm carb. It's still on a 400 main and 32 pilot though.

Edited by Crazyced