Mixed fortunes for Husqvarna’s Mike Brown at opening EnduroCross

LAS VEGAS, NV - May 6, 2014 - (Motor Sports Newswire) - Husqvarna’s Mike Brown got off to a flying start in the opening round of the AMA EnduroCross Championship in Las Vegas, topping the qualifying on his FE 350. But for Brown, one of the dominant racers in the increasingly popular series, the rest of his out did not go well after suffering a hand injury during his heat race.

mike_brown_867e2dd589.jpg

Brown sets hot lap at the AMA Endurocross Opener

“Brownie” did line up for the main event, but had to retire after just a few laps. He got out to an aggressive start in his heat race, but smashed his left little finger on a barrel in the first turn. The impact resulted in multiple lacerations to his finger, but Brown soldiered on through the heat race and qualified for the main. The team attempted to bandage his wounded finger for the main event, where Brown once again got out to a strong start. The Factory Husqvarna rider grabbed the holeshot and attempted to run away with the lead, but during the bar banging in the first lap, the bandage came dislodged.

jamie_193fcfe9aa.jpg

Husky Power parts and accessories manager Jamie Lanza finishes eleventh overall.

"For a guy like Brownie to pull off, you know it was pretty bad," explained Husqvarna Race Team Manager Andy Jefferson. "It was an unfortunate way to start out the season, but we were proud to still have Jamie Lanza in the main event on a Husqvarna." Husky Power parts and accessories manager by day, Jamie opted to contest the Las Vegas EnduroCross opener aboard a Husqvarna TE 300, and was thrilled to get into the main event, where he finished 11th overall.

• Like 1

No frigin hand guards? How stupid is that? Of course he already probably feels stupid for not running them.

seriously. how can a factory endurcross team not run hand guards? not only to protect the rider but also the controls if you go down in a boulder field or something. 

No frigin hand guards? How stupid is that? Of course he already probably feels stupid for not running them.

No guards in MX either which for the pro's is no big thing. How many times have you heard a Pro hurting himself in this race from no guards?

Not saying it's wrong or right, but the majority of the fast EnduroCross racers don't use hand guards.... and if they do use guards its just the simple bug deflector type not the full wrap around guards which woods racers use.

http://www.endurocross.com/features/cody-webb-wins-las-vegas-geico-endurocross-season-opener/

Justsayen.

First all the racers have more talent then I will ever have. Also Cody Webb is a great person to the sport. However the Beta group is making this race out to be the start of a championship. I was wondering why he beat all the better riders. Now I know, Brown was injured giving Webb his win most likely. This type of race a KTM/Husqvarna shines!

Edited by weantright

alot of offroad pros in general don't run them either. There must be a reason? makes the bars too rigid maybe? i don't get it though. no doubt in this situation some wrap around hand guards would have prevented a DNF/DNS.

Comparing motocross to endurocross or offroad is just silly BTW. Pro MX guys run deflectors on rocky tracks for roost and roost alone. Endurocross and offroad are a different animal all together. Same reason mx guys run glide plates and offroad guys run skidplates.   

• Like 1

Those are flag style deflectors and not true deflectors, one step up from bling. Wrap around guards could have prevented this or broke his wrist which would be out far longer. Too many could haves/would haves to say either way. Last time I checked this type of race is more MX than off road with the exception of the rocks. You are right Endurocross is different than off-road thus the comparison to MX! And yes I'am silly kind of guy

Those are flag style deflectors and not true deflectors, one step up from bling. Wrap around guards could have prevented this or broke his wrist which would be out far longer. Too many could haves/would haves to say either way. Last time I checked this type of race is more MX than off road with the exception of the rocks. You are right Endurocross is different than off-road thus the comparison to MX! And yes I'am silly kind of guy

i know the difference between rigid guards and roost deflectors and he was running neither. i know that in a crash you can get caught up in the wrap around guards and injure your wrist. i'm a former A (probably b level right now) offroad guy and certainly no pro but i will say wrap around guards have saved my hands and levers countless times and they have never caused an injury. i would feel naked hitting any endurocross course without them. At least once per race you drop your bike on a boulder or a log (pros included) and crash in some pretty crazy ways. It would be easy to bust the brake or clutch MS. You would think they would run them just to prevent a mechanical? Either way....there must be a reason they don't run them?

I did read an interview with David Knight about why he didn't run handguards. He said i don't need them because i don't hit trees.

Edited by rodgini

Cody Webb is young, strong and is hitting his career stride. I was at the Tennesse Knockout last year and he smoked the field. He leaped from boulder to boulder where Brown just floundered. Mike is old, has kids (different priorities) and the sun is setting on his career.

I read that Coddy prepared for the upcoming season by riding his bike into situations that he had to push the bike out of! He smoked the field at this years KOM. He looked like he was out for a trail ride.

I bet at the next round Mike will be running hand guards.

Rodgini: David Knight will soon eat a tree now that he has bragged about never doing so!

Running without hand guards allows the rider to apply more leverage on the ends of the handlebars... Meaning you can throw the bike around more and I suppose in an enduro cross race where trees aren't an issue you're going to want any advantage you can get.

Or another way to look at it is when your lining up to race .... All you're thinking about is winning the race .... If you drop the bike once you go from 1st to 6th .... No trees ... No guards.

No guards in MX either which for the pro's is no big thing. How many times have you heard a Pro hurting himself in this race from no guards?

First all the racers have more talent then I will ever have. Also Cody Webb is a great person to the sport. However the Beta group is making this race out to be the start of a championship. I was wondering why he beat all the better riders. Now I know, Brown was injured giving Webb his win most likely. This type of race a KTM/Husqvarna shines!

I think you'll find Webb and Beta are extremely competitive and that even healthy, Brown is capable of giving away wins.  Teddy too.