19'' Rear wheel on a DRZ!

Is it possible? Or is this a very uncommon thing? I'm amazed at the lack of information that's been coming up.

The reason I'm looking is I've recently started getting a lot of used 19'' rear tires and I'm looking for a rim to fit them. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Is it possible? Or is this a very uncommon thing? I'm amazed at the lack of information that's been coming up.

The reason I'm looking is I've recently started getting a lot of used 19'' rear tires and I'm looking for a rim to fit them. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem... just need to find an appropriate rear rim (size and spoke count) and a "custom" set of spokes.  For spokes I'd contact Buchanan, FasterUSA or Excel.  Stock rear wheel is 18 x 2.15", 36 hole.

Yea 19" rim - 2.15 X 19 is what you want.  19" rim from a KTM SX model will interchange but you still need spokes.  Used are fairly cheap.  KTM spokes do not interchange.

Forgive my ignorance but why wouldn't the spokes be interchangeable?

Hole pattern on the hub is a different diameter.  I just put a DRZ400 rim on a KTM hub.  I had the Suzuki spoke set but no go.  Needed the KTM spokes to go with the KTM hub.  Rim interchanges because it has the same 36 hole spoke pattern and the same spoke cross (both are important).  A greatly different hub pattern would also make the rims not interchange but the KTM and Suzuki are not that much different.

I have been running a 19" KTM wheel for years now.  Used to have a in a free 19" tires....just peeled one of it yesterday and now they are all used up.  I bought the 18" tusk spoke kit for ktm to mount to my old drz 18".....the tusk spoke nipple are too fat for the 18" rim. 

This thread is quite useful...

KTM WHEEL FITMENT The how to “BIG PICS” - DR-Z 400 - ThumperTalk

Rim can be rilled to fit the Tusk spoke nipples but I found the Tusk spokes were just a bit too long.  (KTM hub. 18"Tusk spokes  18"DRZ rim)  The  rim is identical so the spoke length problem was not the rim.  The real problem was not enough thread length on the spokes.

Rim can be rilled to fit the Tusk spoke nipples but I found the Tusk spokes were just a bit too long.  (KTM hub. 18"Tusk spokes  18"DRZ rim)  The  rim is identical so the spoke length problem was not the rim.  The real problem was not enough thread length on the spokes.

Thanks!  Great info.  What rim did you end up using?

I modified the Tusk nipples to work by drilling some threads out.  A lathe is a handy tool.    KTM hub, 18"Tusk spokes for KTM, 18"DRZ rim.

I have a 19 inch rim from my YZ250f I wouldn't mind trading for an 18 inch rim.  I have a ton of 18 inch race tires I can still use for trails.

I'm having a hard time finding a KTM SX model rim. Keep coming across excels or other brands. Does the model matter on rim size?

I'm a newb on dirt... what's the advantage of a 19" rear wheel over an 18"?

I have a set of 21/19 rims that I currently have listed in the classifieds and this should help:

The rear is a 19" Excel Takasago like this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-GEK422-Takasago-Black-2-15/dp/B000GZPY64

It is laced to the DRZ400 Hub and it looks like they also have Excel spokes.

They make them in silver also, if you'd like to match your existing front.

I'm pretty sure the spoke set you'd need it: XS8-33197 based on this chart:

http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/mx_excel_rims_spokes.html

If you do decide to go the excel route, you could always give them a call to figure out which spokes you'd need.

I'm a newb on dirt... what's the advantage of a 19" rear wheel over an 18"?

19's provide slightly less tire roll and slightly better feel, though they're slightly more prone to flats. Though all motocross bikes used to run 18's, they all run 19's now, with trail bikes running 18's for flat prevention. If you were to setup a drz for mx, or if you had special pricing on 19's, it may be worth doing. For anyone else, the stock 18 is better. 

hmm, instead of lacing up a custom one off wheel+hub, and negating one good wheel....

why not just buy a whoever-made-it 19" wheel fully assembled and cut some bearing spacers ? i'd much rather have both rear wheels usable instead of one custom and lots of parts left over in the process. 

Yeah that's actually what I'm leaning towards right now. It would be nice to have a street set and a dirt set.

Hole pattern on the hub is a different diameter.  I just put a DRZ400 rim on a KTM hub.  I had the Suzuki spoke set but no go.  Needed the KTM spokes to go with the KTM hub.  Rim interchanges because it has the same 36 hole spoke pattern and the same spoke cross (both are important).  A greatly different hub pattern would also make the rims not interchange but the KTM and Suzuki are not that much different.

wanna sell me the drz spokes?