Sign in to follow this  

XR650L w/ CRF450R rear fender rack suggestions?

Trying to figure out the best option for a rear rack on the XR after I dropped the subframe deleted the fender support and fit a CRF450R rear fender to the bike. The photos of racks currently available online frankly suck; specifically they only show the final fit of the rack and have no shots of how they attach to the frame.

Anyone out there with the same rear fender and a rack? Photos are welcome but not necessary. 

Mike

Edited by BadIdeaMike

Thanks for the photo mastera210, but it looks like you have an OE rear fender...

Anyone else with a CRF rear fender and a rack?

I was a little confused about your mention of dropping the subframe, I was thinking of the actual subframe for a minute.

Did you mean the fender support, the small separate support under the fender?

This:

$(KGrHqFHJEwFERZslmI(BRG8g0irww~~60_35.J

If so, you're limited on racks because most of them use that. Some ManRacks don't (http://www.manracks.com/#!honda-xr650l/c108q) and there may be some others. The ManRacks BadRack is the one that doesn't require that fender support. You didn't mention what model of bike you have, but it should be a XR650L if it had that support.

Edited by Onederer

You're right Onederer I misspoke, I deleted the fender support. 

The BadMan rack with HogLegs was one of the options I was considering, but I haven't seen any reviews on TT or ADV about how stout the thing is. Do you have one?

Thanks for the photo mastera210, but it looks like you have an OE rear fender...

Anyone else with a CRF rear fender and a rack?

If you keep the extensons for the blinkers etc. It will work with CRF fender. I cut mine off as dont need rack.

CAM00213.jpg

I'm thinking that only a custom built will work too lynnbg. Twisted Throttle has a top case rack design that I'll probably use as inspiration.

tt_xr650l_rack.jpg

I've been shopping for rear racks for my XR, too. What I've found so far is (a) they are insanely expensive for as simple as they are, and (B) the majority I've seen are pretty small, and seem to start where the stock tool bag ends. The bag on my bike was junk, so it's gone now. I have the advantage of years of fabrication experience and a shed full of tools, so I just made my own. It's not going to carry any engine blocks, but it will definitely handle all I require of it, for a total cost of a couple hours and zero dollars. I'll try to get some pics and post soon. Everybody likes a nice rack, amirite?

You're right Onederer I misspoke, I deleted the fender support. 

The BadMan rack with HogLegs was one of the options I was considering, but I haven't seen any reviews on TT or ADV about how stout the thing is. Do you have one?

I've got one of the first ones, when the design was still being finalized. The HogLegs were designed later and I don't have them.

It's a strong rack and designed to spread the load over a greater area of the subframe, which is not so much putting a load on the seat strap bolts, but it prevents so much twisting by using those points which are much farther ahead of the typical three point racks that have all of the mounts after the seat.

One thing about a rack is if it is there, it is going to get overloaded, so it may as well be something stronger than what you think you'll need.

• Like 1

I run one on mine used a small spacer and bolt through the fender. Its fairly sturdy can carry light stuff. I am planning to make a brace for the underside of the fender just haven't had time. In process of moving. I got the rack off ebay very good quality not sure who makes it off the top of my head but its made in the usa.

20131004_211512.jpg