Sign in to follow this  

difficulty starting '14 450SXF FE when hot

For some reason while riding this weekend I had some difficulty starting my bike after it flamed out in the deep sand.  It only happened once but I've never had that happen on my '11 350 SXF.  The battery had plenty of power and was cranking it over fairly well but it just didn't want to start.  I final put it back in gear and pushed the bike slightly just to turn the crank a little bit to change the position of the piston.  It started after doing that but it doesn't make much sense so I assume it was just a coincidence.  Has anyone else had difficulty on occasion getting your 450 started?

For some reason while riding this weekend I had some difficulty starting my bike after it flamed out in the deep sand.  It only happened once but I've never had that happen on my '11 350 SXF.  The battery had plenty of power and was cranking it over fairly well but it just didn't want to start.  I final put it back in gear and pushed the bike slightly just to turn the crank a little bit to change the position of the piston.  It started after doing that but it doesn't make much sense so I assume it was just a coincidence.  Has anyone else had difficulty on occasion getting your 450 started?

Yes i have had the same issue. I've upped the idle and it still does this... so when its hot I twist the throttle just a bit when trying to start it. 

Not apples to apples, but I have a Vortex ECU and Shorai battery and the things starts hot with no issues.  To the point where I'm often surprised that it starts so quickly after a fall.

I also have a Shorai battery but my 2014 FE remains hard to start when hot, almost impossible when in gear. My 2013 would start under any circumstance. Turned my idle up higher then I like to avoid stalling. Other wise I love this bike!

You need to have your bike tuned, have the guy increase the fuel at idle by 5% 

I'm assuming you are referring to having the mapping (ECU) changed, correct?  If not, please explain.  If yes, who can I get to change this for me?