Are KTM Dirt Bikes Too Expensive?

I stopped by the KTM dealer and he wants $9,500 before taxes for a 2014 KTM 350 XCF-W. I get it that a manufacturer sales their product for as much as the market will pay but man-o-man that's a lot of money for a dirt bike.

You can buy a multi cylinder street bike with ABS, traction control and all sort of advanced features for that amount of money. Even the sales guy that I deal with makes the same comparison.

So does any body else feel that KTM's are getting too expensive?

• Like 1

I stopped by the KTM dealer and he wants $9,500 before taxes for a 2014 KTM 350 XCF-W. I get it that a manufacturer sales their product for as much as the market will pay but man-o-man that's a lot of money for a dirt bike.

You can buy a multi cylinder street bike with ABS, traction control and all sort of advanced features for that amount of money. Even the sales guy that I deal with makes the same comparison.

So does any body else feel that KTM's are getting too expensive?

Yes KtmS Are A Bit Pricey. But I Do Like Them And The Quality Is Top Notch. I Wanted A 300Xc And Bought Last Years Model For 7400$ 2013. Over 1k Off. You Get What You Pay For. Take A Look At New Yz, Kx And Hondas And The Prices Won't Vary Too Much.

• Like 1

I agree that supply and demand will drive the market. However, $9,500+ fees is too rich for my blood, especially when I can buy a brand new 2012 WR450F (same as the 2014s) for $6,000 OTD. That leaves about $4,000+ in upgrades before I get to the KTM price.

But hey, if KTM can get that much for them then more power to 'em.

I think they are. I looked at doing a 500EXC sumo build recently and the bike alone is $11000 (Canada) plus taxes and fees, with another $2k in wheels and tires... I picked up a drz400sm for $6600 OTD. I could still drop $5k into the drz and still only be at the starting price of a ktm...

And before anyone jumps down my throat, yes I know they aren't even close to the same league...

Edited by madchild

Saved for three years since the 12 500 exc came out. Finally got a 14 500 exc. otd with re gearing, chain, hand guards, springs, skid plate, tubliss front and rear,rear disc gard, radiator gards, brp mount and scotts stabilizer and narrow all in one tail light, I'm at about 12750. Best money i ever spent. Its like driving a Ferrari crossed with a bad ass rock crawler. The bike dances. You definitely get what you pay for. I was afraid i wouldn't be able to justify it. After riding my buddys totally tricked out 07 525exc it was obviously worth it. The suspension and power are just ridiculously better. In three years I'll sell you mine for 9800 and get a new one. That is the beauty of the new ktm's. They hold value. Really after the first painful purchase you can have a new bike for 1100$ per year. The real proof is the fact that you don't see many 2012's for sale yet. If you want the best street legal dirt bike you have to pay the piper.

Edited by ffpyle
  • Like 3

No DRZ or WR can even compare to KTM IMO. Yeah you might get a DRZ or WR for cheaper and throw 5k into it but a stock KTM willl still eat it up, I'm just saying are you really saving money at that point?

• Like 1

Sinse KTM owns the off road market they can also kill it off with their prices getting so high. There's always going to be a small  percentage of riders that have the finances to buy new at any price. But what about the rest of us? Joe six pack?

Once I saw the price of a new KTM350 XCF-W was over $10,000 after taxes I just froze. I don't know if I can mentaly cross that line for a dirt bike of any brand.

Has anyone else had that feeling after shopping for a new KTM?

The justification to buy one at those prices seems a whole lot easier when using borrowed money. A trend that will certainly come back to bite us all in the ass.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

For me the problem is a lack of lower spec options. Why is the DRZ the only capable bike left? (And it's not even sold as a dirt bike anymore in the us!).

Where are the XR, TTR, KLX larger bikes (300-500cc)? I think lack of those types of models will bring about the slow death of recreational riding. I had an enduro based off of a MX bike, and I would've preferred an XR400. Sure my KLX450 was more capable in a race environment, but I can keep up with all of my riding buddies on my dad's lowered 10 year old TTR250 (FYI, completely different bike from the TTR 225/230). Now I have a 2007 KTM300exc, and I really like it, but if I could've bought a TTR500 brand new in the $6k range, I would probably have one of those.

It's not that the new bikes are overpriced, it's that there are no budget options out there at the moment.

My opinion anyway.

No DRZ or WR can even compare to KTM IMO. Yeah you might get a DRZ or WR for cheaper and throw 5k into it but a stock KTM willl still eat it up, I'm just saying are you really saving money at that point?

I would say that the 2012+ WR450Fs are in the same league. Yeah, they need some decorking, but with the ~$3k difference in price that is not an issue.

I would like to see KTM offer several bikes which can compete more directly price wise with the Asian offerings.

Fully utilize KTM Austria R&D and best QC practices to have their Indian partner build/assemble slightly lower spec models in addition to the euro built bikes. KTM has had good reviews with this strategy for some of their pavement offerings.

Start with a street legal Freeride 350 or 400 which carries 3 gal of gas. All the basics are already in place to make this happen today!

Bruce

Edited by BDM

I have the finances to buy a new KTM 350 XCF-W but I'm just going to wait for an older model KTM 250 XCF-W to come up on Craigslist and just pay cash. Maybe KTM is their own undoing? A PDS shocked KTM frame hasn't changed to any degree in like forever. I saw a nice 2009 250 XCF-W on the trail last week and it looked and sounded great. The guy said he had just bought it and loved it!

KTM lost a sale this year when I saw the price for a new 2014 KTM350 XCF-W was over $10,000 after taxes and that's why I started this topic. It was to see if anyone else had reached their "pain threshold" for what they will pay for a dirt bike.

Well, as you keep searching you eventually become immune to the expense. ?

Yes, KTM's are expensive.  Expense (apparently) doesn't quell the demand for them though.

Another item to keep in mind is resale.  KTM's have been very good at holding their value. 

I spent months browsing craigslist & autotrader for a 500 exc, only a few ever showed up and they were always $9k+.  The last one I saw was a 2013 500 exc listed at $9600, I sent the guy an offer of $8900 the night he posted, never heard back & the bike was sold the next day.  I ended up buying a new 2014 500exc for $10.8k otd, ironically nearly the same price if I had bought the 2013 for $9600 + taxes.

For factory street legal dirt bike, there's not much choice.  WR250R, DRZ400, DR650, XR650L, KLX250, CR250L.  The only thing close is the Beta 520RS.  I wanted an FI bike (sorry, sick of carbs!) though.

KTM lost a sale this year when I saw the price for a new 2014 KTM350 XCF-W was over $10,000 after taxes and that's why I started this topic. 

un fortunately this does not hurt KTM. 

Yes OTD price on a new EXC is expensive BUT, the bike comes out of the box ready to go without major changed & as of now nothing else is on the market that can compete. 

I think the best value is the couple of left over XCW's that can be had for 7500. 

• Like 2