Sign in to follow this  

help me find a dirtbike

Okay so im getting into dirtbikes and i have no clue what to buy... i am 6" and roughly 160-170 pounds.. i have had very little experience riding dirtbikes and i was wondering what i should get. I talked to my friends and they said i should get a yz 85 or a bike around that size to start off, but i was looking into a yz 125 or a yz250f because i thought the 85 would be too small for me. But im not the expert so im asking you guys. I dont want to spend over $2500 so i was thinking about less than year 2000-2005

A YZ85 is a retarded choice. Please tell your friends that for me.

You are way too big for a little kid's bike like that.

You haven't said what kind of riding you plan on, whether it's woods or MX, that makes a difference.

• Like 5

A YZ85 is a retarded choice. Please tell your friends that for me.

You are way too big for a little kid's bike like that.

You haven't said what kind of riding you plan on, whether it's woods or MX, that makes a difference.

I really just want to go fast and mess around in the fields... the chances of me going to a track are slim to none, i also might go on trail and play in the mud from time to time

Kdx 200 or 220  comes to mind as a first choice followed by other enduro bikes like the rmx or xr 250

• Like 2

Totally agree with KDX.

It would be nice if they'd post a pic but this could be a good one, price is right. In Springfield, VA- dunno how close that is to the OP...

http://winchester.craigslist.org/mcy/4407967335.html

I really am not trying to but one at the moment. Im just looking for sizes and if i should get a two stroke or four. I know more about yamaha then any other bike comp. so i just wanna know what type of bike to get that is suitable for my height, weight, and very minimal experience

200 Two-Stroke Enduro Bike. KDX 200-220, KTM 200-250-300 xc-W. Any bike like that would  be great.

for your height and weight you can get either bike, 4 stroke mx bikes like a 250f need to be maintained. oil change very 10 hours, air filter every 5. a 2 stroke will be a lot less maintenance I would recommend a 125 starting off so you can learn to use the clutch, they're pretty powerful bikes. 250 will be a bit harder to learn on because it has more power but you'll be able to keep it longer. If you did get the 250 just throw a fww on it and you should be good. 

i love 2t but i find the 250 4t a nice learning bike and not as expensive to maintain as their big 450 mx brothers.  throw  a leg over diff bikes make sure your feet are in a comfortable  position with your feet on the ground... i like the ktm 200 2t but have no experience on the power or the hit...but its a great size that could last serve as a learning bike and take you further... go to that forum and ask... its just light weight and you can grow into it... the honda 250x is also very nice and other then oil changes is very reliable...

sorry im reading this post backwards... what tony477g said is also very good advise....except i have no idea what a fww is

Edited by somethingnuw

i love 2t but i find the 250 4t a nice learning bike and not as expensive to maintain as their big 450 mx brothers.  throw  a leg over diff bikes make sure your feet are in a comfortable  position with your feet on the ground... i like the ktm 200 2t but have no experience on the power or the hit...but its a great size that could last serve as a learning bike and take you further... go to that forum and ask... its just light weight and you can grow into it... the honda 250x is also very nice and other then oil changes is very reliable...

sorry im reading this post backwards... what tony477g said is also very good advise....except i have no idea what a fww is

fww=fly wheel weight. I dont know about being less expensive to maintain a 250f. my 250f I was changing oil every 10 hours and air filter every two rides. I was riding in the higher revs so it was a must. A 450 however I could lug around not getting into the higher revs as often.

fww=fly wheel weight. I dont know about being less expensive to maintain a 250f. my 250f I was changing oil every 10 hours and air filter every two rides. I was riding in the higher revs so it was a must. A 450 however I could lug around not getting into the higher revs as often.

sorry tony what i meant is that as far as i know the 250f's don't go through valves and expensive top ends like the their 450 brothers... just my opinion buddy has had a 250x for 7 years now... still running great... 

sorry tony what i meant is that as far as i know the 250f's don't go through valves and expensive top ends like the their 450 brothers... just my opinion buddy has had a 250x for 7 years now... still running great... 

see 250(X) is better at lasting. the racing model (crf250r) i believe has titanium valves, the x comes with stainless steel, there is a reason they weigh so much more than the motocross models. My uncle had a crf250x and that thing lasted forever and he almost never changed the oil. 

• Like 1

i find the 250 4t a nice learning bike and not as expensive to maintain as their big 450 mx brothers

What planet are you living on?

Of course 250f's are more maintenance. They are higher strung, see much higher rpm's and see them more often. They're smaller with less power too so riders ride them much harder then they are able to ride a 450. It's the other way around and 450's are far more reliable (in most cases) then a 250f. 

Don't buy a 250f if your not a motocross racer. The advantages are little to none, it's harder to find a good one used and at your price range all you will find is junk. In order to be good bikes and not just ticking time bombs, the maintenance has to be very well kept up on them because there's a ton of small parts moving at high rpm under high pressure that will wear and over time, one or more of these worn parts will cause the entire motor to grenade. The previous owner didn't shim the valves and one drops? $1500+. The crank lets go? Then the top end goes, the head may go, the motor grenades itself. $3000+. 

You can't afford a good 250f in your price range and thinking about buying one is a bad, bad idea. Plus 2000-2005 is very, very old for high performance 4 strokes. They're fun bikes but unless you spend $4000+ and have $2000+ on hand to fix them when they break, plus the time and money to maintain them in between that then they're not for you. They need constant valve adjustments, oil changes, filter changes, rebuilds and a ton of other stuff and not just that but if your buying used and the previous owner didn't do it, your doomed. 

Be careful what you buy. 95% of bikes on craigslist have already apparently been rebuilt "recently" and I'm willing to bet by my standards, 80% of their owners are liars. Get a 125 thats in the best shape you can find ($2500 will get you pretty near any 125 you want in great/near new condition) and put a piston and rings in it right away. Problem solved.

• Like 2

What planet are you living on?

Of course 250f's are more maintenance. They are higher strung, see much higher rpm's and see them more often. They're smaller with less power too so riders ride them much harder then they are able to ride a 450. It's the other way around and 450's are far more reliable (in most cases) then a 250f. 

Don't buy a 250f if your not a motocross racer. The advantages are little to none, it's harder to find a good one used and at your price range all you will find is junk. In order to be good bikes and not just ticking time bombs, the maintenance has to be very well kept up on them because there's a ton of small parts moving at high rpm under high pressure that will wear and over time, one or more of these worn parts will cause the entire motor to grenade. The previous owner didn't shim the valves and one drops? $1500+. The crank lets go? Then the top end goes, the head may go, the motor grenades itself. $3000+. 

You can't afford a good 250f in your price range and thinking about buying one is a bad, bad idea. Plus 2000-2005 is very, very old for high performance 4 strokes. They're fun bikes but unless you spend $4000+ and have $2000+ on hand to fix them when they break, plus the time and money to maintain them in between that then they're not for you. They need constant valve adjustments, oil changes, filter changes, rebuilds and a ton of other stuff and not just that but if your buying used and the previous owner didn't do it, your doomed. 

Be careful what you buy. 95% of bikes on craigslist have already apparently been rebuilt "recently" and I'm willing to bet by my standards, 80% of their owners are liars. Get a 125 thats in the best shape you can find ($2500 will get you pretty near any 125 you want in great/near new condition) and put a piston and rings in it right away. Problem solved.

oh let see the planet...that my 450x had to have a new top end by 50 hours started going at about 25... exhaust valve was almost closed and my riding buddies never touched their 250x... and still ticking... thats what planet... your a leaf fan your forgiven for being back wards.. 

Edited by somethingnuw

oh let see the planet...that my 450x had to have a new top end by 50 hours started going at about 25... exhaust valve was almost closed and my riding buddies never touched their 250x... and still ticking... thats what planet... your a leaf fan your forgiven for being back wards.. 

Leaf's comment is 100% correct, 450s have a much better track record of longevity.

Your results may vary.

Must be a different planet then my YZ250F (very well maintained) and my KFX450R (also very well maintained) came from. A higher reving engine that sees it's life at much higher rpm and is very high strung with high compression is going to be a high maintenance motor. 450's GENERALLY are lower maintenance. Sucks you had a bad example, I've had good luck (knock on wood) with 450's/525's, really good lucky actually. More then any 250f I ever owned. 

Edited by leafsrule16