450f hours

I would like to see how many hours 450f riders have on there bikes without major work done to the engine except a topend rebuild I'm considering a 450f but would like to know what would be the best 450f out there I hear yamaha is the best but what about other bikes reply what you have and how reliable. Thank all comments appreciated.

I would like to see how many hours 450f riders have on there bikes without major work done to the engine except a topend rebuild I'm considering a 450f but would like to know what would be the best 450f out there I hear yamaha is the best but what about other bikes reply what you have and how reliable. Thank all comments appreciated.

can I ask you why is Yamaha better as I have a 13 rmz 450 and never tried another.

i put 180 hours on a 05 yz450 without doing anything to it except for changing the oil and various little odds and ends.

bike still runs strong and the guy i sold it to, has still done nothing to it and just got 1st place in our local pro class gp with it.

I think the differences among the Big Four are miniscule if you are buying new and depend on the individual bike if buying used.

If you are going to race, then I think it's 80% rider anyway.

Check my Avatar for my preference.

Edited by Steve Sturdevant
  • Like 3

I ride only mx and my motor lives at the rev limiter. My 2011 yz450 went 137 hrs. I maintenance as well as the next guy, replaced valves and piston before they went. At 137 oil pump seized and seized crank. My 04 450 has over 400 hours and still ripping.

i put 180 hours on a 05 yz450 without doing anything to it except for changing the oil and various little odds and ends.

bike still runs strong and the guy i sold it to, has still done nothing to it and just got 1st place in our local pro class gp with it.

What class rider are you?? That's awesome you got so much out of ur top end.

I ride only mx and my motor lives at the rev limiter. My 2011 yz450 went 137 hrs. I maintenance as well as the next guy, replaced valves and piston before they went. At 137 oil pump seized and seized crank. My 04 450 has over 400 hours and still ripping.

My approach to maintenance is if you wait til something feels or goes wrong, you waited too long. Don't wait til the trans is notchy, change oil more often. Don't delay a top end til it falls apart, replace it before catastrophe.

Met a white trash guy a few weeks ago riding, he had this early '90s quad that was audibly clanking the piston in the cylinder. "Man I ne'er did no THANG ti it, it steel runnin I'll do the motor when it lets go." I said why not do a top end before ruining the motor and cylinder, which probably needs work anyway?? The look on his face told me he had never thought of that. Wow.