Best 600 sport bike on a budget?

So, I have Ridden Dirt bikes for a long time. I have completed the motorcycle safety course. And now I just need to Decide on a bike. And this is where I get lost. I cant find motorcycle shoot outs for the gsxr's, cbr's, yamaha yfz and R6's, zx6r's etc... SO  my budget is about-around, 3 grand. I have decided that a 600 sport bike would be a good size. Thanks for reading and your time. Please respond!

Pick a color and go.

I'd choose the CBR, followed by the Ninja. 

For 3 grand your probably lookin for a 6-10 year old bike would be my guess.  I dont know how you cannot find a 600cc sport bike shootout thou.  Pretty much every bike magazine does sport bike shootouts every single year.  Usually theres so many you get sick of seeing them.

Im a Suzuki guy myself and I have an 03 GSX-R750.  One of my favorite years of the GSXR 600/750s is the 06-07 model.  They were pretty lean and mean, I think they were even lighter than some of the newer models.  And Its one of my favorite years for the overall styling of the bike.  For Yamaha, I dont think the R6 has really changed since 07.  Hondas and Kawis I dont really know to much about.

Really thou there is no big difference between any of them, there all 600cc super sports.  Pick whichever one you think looks best.  Or if your already a Honda/Kawi/Yami/Zuki guy, look at their bike and see if you like it.

Probably the biggest difference is that some years of the Kawis they were a 636cc while the other guys have basically always been 599cc.

As the guy above says while I was typing my post... Pick a color...

You should also check out the Triumph Daytona 675.  Its 675cc and its a triple instead of a 4cyl like all the jap bikes.  So it has better low end grunt which would actually probably make it a lot funner to ride.  I always thought that looked like a pretty cool bike, and the better torque from the triple would be cool compared to the normall 4cyl 600s with no torque.

The 675 is very nice ... But Expensive

Keep in mind that all 600 sport bikes don't have much power under 7000 RPM.  Quite a surprise vs a dirt bike.

Quite a surprise vs anything that isn't a 125 2t

Fixed it.

I know you will probably toss this in the "trash", but what you need right now, could not be farther from a 600cc Sport Bike. Get a beater enduro or cruiser for $1000 or less (mine was $500) and buy GOOD QUALITY GEAR. Dont skimp on the helmet, never leave home without a jacket and gloves (preferably LEATHER) and wear good boots with ankle protection. Dont be like me (and most everyone I know) and wind up with a whole bunch of tickets, tow fees and scars. There is no where in America besides a race track to use a 600 or larger sport bike to its potential, much less legally. Once you are done learning not to point your bike down hill when on the kick stand, using the front brake 90% instead of vice versa, getting your bike knocked over in a parking lot by an elderly person trying to park in your spot, etc. etc. etc. Then if you still want something "pretty" and way too fast, THEN get a nice sport bike, (until your back and wrists make you sell it)... =)

Having ridden everything under the sun and owning most types/brands of dirt bikes, sport bikes and a sport touring bike, the Super Moto's and the Enduros are the most fun. The sport bikes are the prettiest to look at and the least fun to ride. Plus a noob on a sport bike is almost 100% guarantee for an ambulance or a morgue, unfortunately...

thanks all!!!!!!! I just wasnt sure if there was any bikes that I should say away from haha. This will be the easyest research to pick the one that looks coolest haha. Thanks again

I know you will probably toss this in the "trash", but what you need right now, could not be farther from a 600cc Sport Bike. Get a beater enduro or cruiser for $1000 or less (mine was $500) and buy GOOD QUALITY GEAR. Dont skimp on the helmet, never leave home without a jacket and gloves (preferably LEATHER) and wear good boots with ankle protection. Dont be like me (and most everyone I know) and wind up with a whole bunch of tickets, tow fees and scars. There is no where in America besides a race track to use a 600 or larger sport bike to its potential, much less legally. Once you are done learning not to point your bike down hill when on the kick stand, using the front brake 90% instead of vice versa, getting your bike knocked over in a parking lot by an elderly person trying to park in your spot, etc. etc. etc. Then if you still want something "pretty" and way too fast, THEN get a nice sport bike, (until your back and wrists make you sell it)... =)

Having ridden everything under the sun and owning most types/brands of dirt bikes, sport bikes and a sport touring bike, the Super Moto's and the Enduros are the most fun. The sport bikes are the prettiest to look at and the least fun to ride. Plus a noob on a sport bike is almost 100% guarantee for an ambulance or a morgue, unfortunately...

Thanks, I will definitely take that to consideration. I am open to all ideas. I have looked at KDX's but I dont feel that they are good for 60-75mph. I looked into the drz400's and they are nice, but someone I know said that they are crap. I will have to research there reliability and how good they are. I would love to save some money too buying something cheaper. What would you recomend for an "Enduro". And what is a Supermoto? I see them, but they are just enduros with street tires, Right?

depending on your market you should be able to find a Suzuki SV650 (or 650S), great entry level bike, more torque down low compared to the other 600CC class bikes

I second the sv650s great bike rides great at 120km per hr all day on the highway. just did a 650km trip and loaded down with tank bags and tail bags into the wind only cost 30 bucks in gas never felt under powered once

There are sport bikes and there are supersport bikes.

Sport bikes like SV650, Katana, Ninja 650, CBR F4, YZF600, you could find tnem used under $3-4k.

Supersport like GSXR, ZR6r or 636, CBR RR, R6 are likely cost $4-5k or above, and twice (or more) the insurance premium for a new rider, not nearly twice the fun.

Sure most new/young riders want the sexy supersport near 100hp shinny bikes, but reality is no matter how much dirt bike experience you have, how well you think you can control a bike; you still have no clue what danger you can face on public roads.

Distracted drivers in 3-4000 lb. killing machine who have no regard for your existence and can easily kill you on any motorcycle.

Statistics are not in your favor as a young/new rider, why put more risk on yourself on a expensive supersport that cost more to insure, cost more to repair and more likely to get yourself killed?

Edited by cat0020

There are sport bikes and there are supersport bikes.

Sport bikes like SV650, Katana, Ninja 650, CBR F4, YZF600, you could find tnem used under $3-4k.

Supersport like GSXR, ZR6r or 636, CBR RR, R6 are likely cost $4-5k or above, and twice (or more) the insurance premium for a new rider, not nearly twice the fun.

Sure most new/young riders want the sexy supersport near 100hp shinny bikes, but reality is no matter how much dirt bike experience you have, how well you think you can control a bike; you still have no clue what danger you can face on public roads.

Distracted drivers in 3-4000 lb. killing machine who have no regard for your existence and can easily kill you on any motorcycle.

Statistics are not in your favor as a young/new rider, why put more risk on yourself on a expensive supersport that cost more to insure, cost more to repair and more likely to get yourself killed?

Thanks, for clearing that all up! I dont want  a supersport, cant use its great potential. A sport bike or enduro will do fine i think. I will look into the sv650's .

A CB750 NightHawk is another good option. Dead reliable, looks good, and will last longer than you will if maintained properly.

Thanks, I will definitely take that to consideration. I am open to all ideas. I have looked at KDX's but I dont feel that they are good for 60-75mph. I looked into the drz400's and they are nice, but someone I know said that they are crap. I will have to research there reliability and how good they are. I would love to save some money too buying something cheaper. What would you recomend for an "Enduro". And what is a Supermoto? I see them, but they are just enduros with street tires, Right?

DRZ's are great for what they are designed for, an entry level dual sport/enduro. All bikes have "quirks" and the DRZ has a few, but they are all minor and easy fixes, making it a great bike for what you are talking about. With gearing you can do 60-70's but you will be revving it a bit. If you plan to commute with it, buy a car! You will have A/C, heater and a roof, maybe even air bags, all much better in an accident/rain/snow. I really try to talk anyone out of "commuting" on a bike. Save bikes for hobby/weekends/fun and you will risk much less injury! Try to go grocery shopping on a crotch rocket and then give me a call. Car/truck first, then bike. Never own just a bike!

SV650's are a great bike if you insist on something faster than an enduro (I keep going back to the enduro/dual sport/supermoto as your experience is with dirt bikes). I can honestly say that EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends who was a dirt biker and got on a street bike/crotch rocket got hurt very fast and one got killed. There is ZERO similarity in the riding style. You are right in the simplest terms, a supermoto is an enduro/dual sport with 17" rims and street bike tires. If you never plan to ride the bike off road and want it to handle BEST on the road, the supermoto is a great combination. I personally like the 21/18 dual sport model as I like the ability to leave the road/climb stairs, etc. whenever I feel like it. Try that on an SV650 and make sure you have a helmet cam! =)

Thanks, for clearing that all up! I dont want  a supersport, cant use its great potential. A sport bike or enduro will do fine i think. I will look into the sv650's .

Dont forget about sport touring bikes either, but once again, I have had them all. In my garage right now sits a showroom clean CBR1000RR with $18K invested and over 150+ horse power. When my buddy leaves his DRZ over from time to time I ride it and have a ton of fun, the CBR sits next to it, pissed off and covered in dust... :lol:

My favorite old super sport that fits your budget is a Honda cbr 600 F3. Probably the most comfortable sport bike I've ever ridden.

So, I have Ridden Dirt bikes for a long time. I have completed the motorcycle safety course. And now I just need to Decide on a bike. And this is where I get lost. I cant find motorcycle shoot outs for the gsxr's, cbr's, yamaha yfz and R6's, zx6r's etc... SO  my budget is about-around, 3 grand. I have decided that a 600 sport bike would be a good size. Thanks for reading and your time. Please respond!

on a budget you cant be choosy like that looking at shootouts ect .. your strategy should be to take the time and search out a bargain on an older model year with low miles someone took great care of .. at the budget level a 'better' model is meaningless .. a lesser model in almost perfect condition will be a 10X better purchase than a ragged out super duper machine thats beat up .. and btw, i recommend getting to the 4grand level, there are many more really good bikes, once you dip to 3 your running into alot of the same models that just really arnt in ready to run condition ..

You can find a use yamaha seca 2 for about 1500 in good condition with low miles, there a 600 inline 4 except without all the crazy power and speed, with only about 65 hp and a top speed of 120 down hill with the wind on your bike it's no speed demon and perfect for beginners, and they are fairly light, weighting only 400 lbs dry, it's something to consider