Several Questions regarding sprockets, trail tech, and ACCT

So i have a couple of questions because im getting ready to order MCCT and fender off of TT and am just going to by something else to bump up the price so i get free shipping  ?

1st thing 

I do lots of street and rutted dirt roads along with single track and light mx track riding and was wondering what you guys run for sprockets! idk if i should drop a tooth in the front and run 14/44 or should i run 15/47? i would just like a bit more acceleration for around town and offroad as i rarely ride interstate but still need to be able to run 70mph comfortablely without revving the piss out of the engine for long amounts of time. Anyways are they about the same? Which is easier to switch to and what gearing do you use for similar riding?

2nd thing

I have a trail tech vapor stealth and have the coolant temp senor hooked into the top of the rad, but i cant seem to get the temp to read on screen. It just sits at 222 F until the bike warms up then it just cycles from 0-898 F and back to 0 by 200 degrees constantly while im riding. ive done multiple Left + mode resets and it wont acknowledge ive also tried getting it to set through the data mode screen but it wont acknowledge that the sensor is there. its all hooked up correctly and plugged in! anyone had this problem with the trail tech?

3rd thing

Since im changing the ACCT out for a MCCT should i get a new cam chain as well? its been tapping loudly for a while now probly 500-1000 miles in the last 2 months? maybe? before i really noticed it (i have a loud helmet so i rarely hear it with my helmet on and didnt notice it till recently when i took a ride without it on). Is there any thing on the bike i should also maintenance or check that might have been hurt by the ACCT problem? ?

1st thing

I do lots of street and rutted dirt roads along with single track and light mx track riding and was wondering what you guys run for sprockets! idk if i should drop a tooth in the front and run 14/44 or should i run 15/47? i would just like a bit more acceleration for around town and offroad as i rarely ride interstate but still need to be able to run 70mph comfortablely without revving the piss out of the engine for long amounts of time. Anyways are they about the same? Which is easier to switch to and what gearing do you use for similar riding?

First 14/44 and 15/47 are the same exact thing, they are less than 0.5% different gear ratio. So between those two I would run the 15/47 to not have to worry about the front guide being worn so quickly.

I run SM wheels so I wouldn't be much help there, I'm running 15/38 on my setup.

3rd thing

Since im changing the ACCT out for a MCCT should i get a new cam chain as well? its been tapping loudly for a while now probly 500-1000 miles in the last 2 months? maybe? before i really noticed it (i have a loud helmet so i rarely hear it with my helmet on and didnt notice it till recently when i took a ride without it on). Is there any thing on the bike i should also maintenance or check that might have been hurt by the ACCT problem? ?

I'd see how your MCCT looks after being adjusted. If it's really far in, then yeah replace it. Not a ton of work to change one, but it's adding a fair amount more work to change it over just installing the MCCT.

• Like 1

pull your acct and see how many teeth are left till full extension, if 2 or less (left). Then Id say yes a new chain is about due, however if you have teeth left, I highly doubt your noise is from the ACCT, if you have a post 03 tensioner.

If you really want to do your bike a favor, put it on a Leaded VPc12 fuel diet, a great decarbonizer and internal lubricant.

• Like 1

pull your acct and see how many teeth are left till full extension, if 2 or less (left). Then Id say yes a new chain is about due, however if you have teeth left, I highly doubt your noise is from the ACCT, if you have a post 03 tensioner.

If you really want to do your bike a favor, put it on a Leaded VPc12 fuel diet, a great decarbonizer and internal lubricant.

My noise is the same as a recent thread and it cleared up his with a mcct so I'm going to start from there!

2nd thing

I have a trail tech vapor stealth and have the coolant temp senor hooked into the top of the rad, but i cant seem to get the temp to read on screen. It just sits at 222 F until the bike warms up then it just cycles from 0-898 F and back to 0 by 200 degrees constantly while im riding. ive done multiple Left + mode resets and it wont acknowledge ive also tried getting it to set through the data mode screen but it wont acknowledge that the sensor is there. its all hooked up correctly and plugged in! anyone had this problem with the trail tech?

Make sure that there is enough fluid in the radiator that the sensor is submerged, it won't work otherwise. Then go for a ride to get the bike nice and warm (should be at operating temp) then do the 2 button reset, it should recognize the sensor after this.

If that works remember that the vapor will not display the temp reading until after the water temp has reached +100*F.

If it doesn't work I would contact Trailtech about it and see what they say, maybe it is a faulty sensor, or a faulty computer  :excuseme:

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 1

Make sure that there is enough fluid in the radiator that the sensor is submerged, it won't work otherwise. Then go for a ride to get the bike nice and warm (should be at operating temp) then do the 2 button reset, it should recognize the sensor after this.

If that works remember that the vapor will not display the temp reading until after the water temp has reached +100*F.

If it doesn't work I would contact Trailtech about it and see what they say, maybe it is a faulty sensor, or a faulty computer :excuseme:

thanks ill try that out and see if it works then!! Anyways got any suggestions on sprocket and tires for a S model that would do good on a single track hare scramble course and decent for commuting?

thanks ill try that out and see if it works then!! Anyways got any suggestions on sprocket and tires for a S model that would do good on a single track hare scramble course and decent for commuting?

there aren't any tires that will survive commuting for long, and be any good for hare scrambles. 

the best comprimise gearing for the possibility of 70 mph AND still being fun off road from what i've seen is 15/47. 

best off road is 14/47 or shorter

best on road is 15/39 (17" wheels) or 15/44 (21/18")

if you spring for a second set of wheels, you can really start to enjoy both street and dirt in one bike. it's how i do it (shrug) :-) 

• Like 1

there aren't any tires that will survive commuting for long, and be any good for hare scrambles.

the best comprimise gearing for the possibility of 70 mph AND still being fun off road from what i've seen is 15/47.

best off road is 14/47 or shorter

best on road is 15/39 (17" wheels) or 15/44 (21/18")

if you spring for a second set of wheels, you can really start to enjoy both street and dirt in one bike. it's how i do it (shrug) :-)

Currently a second set of rims is it off the question (broke college kid) and I found several threads on tires but either people are running 100% on road or 100% off-road or running in sand or on 17s which non of that helps me for tires so I was wondering I just need a tire that can handle mud (not to aggressive of mud just something that would give a little bit of bite so it won't wash out every second like the stocker do) but still be decent on the road and not burn up in a hundred miles! I would love a set off 17s and keep my dirt set and through trials tires on them but no money for that! Anyone point me to some tires or a better thread? That may have the info? I ride 80/10 on-road/off-road

Take a look at some Michelin t63's. Haven't got to do any muddy offroading with them, but in normal conditions they seem to do really well. Their also fairly cheap so I don't have to feel bad about wearing them out commuting back & forth to work.

Also I'm currently run stock E gearing 14/47 & it is great in the woods but really 50/55mph is where it cruises comfortably. Been thinking of switching to a 44 rear myself.

Take a look at some Michelin t63's. Haven't got to do any muddy offroading with them, but in normal conditions they seem to do really well. Their also fairly cheap so I don't have to feel bad about wearing them out commuting back & forth to work.

Also I'm currently run stock E gearing 14/47 & it is great in the woods but really 50/55mph is where it cruises comfortably. Been thinking of switching to a 44 rear myself.

Just ordered a 14t so I'll be running 14/44 on dirt tires, I think my buddy has a t63 on his e and it seems to hook and roost pretty decently in the stuff we ride! Might have to check then out