Sign in to follow this  

1985 xr350r

Hello I'm new to the forum, so I'm not too sure if I'm posting in the right place.. I have a 1985 xr350r with a Broken transmission countershaft. And I was wondering if there's a replacement I can use? If I have to replace the whole transmission that's fine, I just want the dirt bike back on the dirt. Thanks. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399417887.254021.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399417908.903979.jpg

I just looked up Partzila and it appears that part is obselete and only made for the 350. The 400 model may fit. Do you have access to a motorcycle wrecker near by? 

I've looked but they're a few hours away. I've heard an xl bike would fit, but you would have to change the entire transmission gears but idk which bike.

It is a very difficult one. One that you may have to investigate a bit of information and time on. I wish you all the best. 

creeky posted this; look for complete '84 tranny also.

Perhaps creeky has the '85 tranny shaft you need....

Send him a PM.

Thread name "Any info on xr 350 Gearboxes, 1st is gone!"

creeky

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

I tried to do a part fiche lookup and 85 was the last year for the XR350R in the US. What I did find is the US 83-84 XR/XL350 used the same countershaft (23220-KF0-000) and the 85 XR350R used a different countershaft (23220-KN5-670). Most of the other tranny gears share the same Product code as the countershaft (KF0 or KN5) so it appear the trannies are very different between the early and late models.

The '85 (US model) did not share the transmission with the previous years 350s. Some years ago, I had an '85 350R that blew 3rd gear and did collateral damage to the rest of the transmission. I found an '84 parts bike at a local dealer and bought the engine which had the top end missing. I attempted to use parts from the '84 to repair the '85 and although some of the parts were alike, I could not make a combination of the two work. I installed the complete '84 transmission into the '85 and it worked just fine. 1st and 2nd gear ratios were slightly different from the '85 but not enough to be noticeable.

Edited by ramz

I found a complete 1984 xr350 transmission on ebay for $100. But sucks that I can't get it now:/.

I'm in the same boat. I busted a tooth off the top gear of the counter shaft in my 85' xr350r and am going nuts trying to find a replacement for it. I was thinking about using 83-84 parts but also noticed part numbers were different. I was able to track down a full 84' transmission (minus shift forks and drum) so i guess ill just drop that into it.

Does anyone know if the 85' shift drum and forks will work on the 84 tranny?

Edited by Bajavwracer

Hey guys: I have an complete 84 XR350 posted for sale on the vehicle adds section of thumper talk. Clean one owner, serious. Also can see it on www.KSL.com search dirtbikes section and put 350 in key word and it will come right up. Also some parts bikes 350s on the same site. I could arrange shipping for the whole bike if you wanted it. Give you a lifetime worth of parts. Do not want to part it out.

The 84 had the duel carbs which made jetting and cleaning a little more of a chore than on the 85 and no oil in the frame. I put an 85 cylinder on a different 83 that I had and it fit fine. PM me if you are interested. Just picked up a xr 400 and I am letting the old wife go for the new model. I would like to drag race them, gut feel is they are pretty dang close, but the new one is smoother, old one maybe a touch more hit.

Hey guys: I have an complete 84 XR350 posted for sale on the vehicle adds section of thumper talk. Clean one owner, serious. Also can see it on www.KSL.com search dirtbikes section and put 350 in key word and it will come right up. Also some parts bikes 350s on the same site. I could arrange shipping for the whole bike if you wanted it. Give you a lifetime worth of parts. Do not want to part it out.

The 84 had the duel carbs which made jetting and cleaning a little more of a chore than on the 85 and no oil in the frame. I put an 85 cylinder on a different 83 that I had and it fit fine. PM me if you are interested. Just picked up a xr 400 and I am letting the old wife go for the new model. I would like to drag race them, gut feel is they are pretty dang close, but the new one is smoother, old one maybe a touch more hit.

I have both and geared the same, it's a dead heat before the pumper carb on the 400. Now the 400 by a bike length. 

350 was actually rated at 1hp more than the 400 from Honda. 

Edited by MindBlower