15:51 gearing good or bad?

So I picked up a 01 yz250 about a month ago. Looking the bike over and I noticed the gearing ratio is 15:51. Is that bad or good. I plan on doing track riding/races what's the best ratio to go with.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

Ps.... I noticed there are a lot of threads about gearing but I don't see much about 15:51. I've seen some guys have it for trail riding but I have no interest in the trails.

14/51 is the more common setup that many run, myself included. Not sure if it's the case for 01, but my 13 came stock 14/50 and I wanted to give it a little more acceleration to get into 3rd gear a bit quicker. The majority of the tracks I ride are mostly 2nd and 3rd gear with the occasional 4th thrown in on longer straights.

So what was the point of the p/o adding and extra tooth to the front?

Maybe he wanted more top speed. If he had a 15 on the front there probably isn't a case guard on the bike right?

How do you feel about the bike right now? Does it seem like it takes a long time to "get on the pipe"? A 15 for the front is very tall especially for a 2 stroke but would also depend on your weight. I don't know what the best ratio for the general 250 2 stroke is but it wouldnt hurt to switch out that front sprocket to a 14 tooth and see how the acceleration is. You want to be using all of the gears in the 2 stroke on the track to keep it the power output healthy

Edited by Zachdh38

Gear ratio chart

there are also websites that

have speed calculators using

engine rpm, gear ratio's,

tire diameter, etc, ...but riding

seems to be the best way to

get the bike to where it works

the way you want it.

image.jpg

I don't even think it's possible to mount a 15t on the front...

I don't even think it's possible to mount a 15t on the front...

I think it would fit without the case guard, but I'm just guessing.

15T fits fine. 

I ran 15/51 most the time on my 05 YZ250. This was trails though, so doesn't really apply to mx. I found I liked the gear spacing better, and traction was improved without the trade-offs of a fww that I did not like. Not for everyone, but worked great for my needs (single track preferred, fast B / slow A rider). 

Maybe he wanted more top speed. If he had a 15 on the front there probably isn't a case guard on the bike right?

There is a case guard on it.

How do you feel about the bike right now? Does it seem like it takes a long time to "get on the pipe"? A 15 for the front is very tall especially for a 2 stroke but would also depend on your weight. I don't know what the best ratio for the general 250 2 stroke is but it wouldnt hurt to switch out that front sprocket to a 14 tooth and see how the acceleration is. You want to be using all of the gears in the 2 stroke on the track to keep it the power output healthy

I think I'm gonna just throw a 14 on it. I mean I don't think it feels bad but like I said I just got back into riding and the last bike I had was a pw80 when I was a kid

That's quite a jump in bikes.

Yea I know I just didn't want to get a 125 then want to upgrade in a few months so I just grabbed the 250. Pretty happy with it actually.

I run 15/51 on my YZ ( 1-5 WR tranny ), winter time with studs, single track and no trail/ exploring. Works fine for me.