Freakin out..

Today, getting home from the gym, while running on 3 hours of sleep, I put my carb back in my bike after getting it tuned up, and when I went to start it, I realized I FORGOT THE EXHAUST PLUG IN THE SILENCER! I kicked it about 5 times and was wondering why it wasn't starting.. I kicked it one more time and it started and ran for about 2 seconds then shut off. But I took the plug out and it started right up and ran perfect.

The thing is, I'm a very paranoid guy, and I'm worried that I may have lost some compression from this happening. I never got the chance to drive it tonight and I don't have a compression tester..

Did this hurt my engine in anyway?

Thanks!

Btw, lesson learned: don't work on a bike while half asleep!

Today, getting home from the gym, while running on 3 hours of sleep, I put my carb back in my bike after getting it tuned up, and when I went to start it, I realized I FORGOT THE EXHAUST PLUG IN THE SILENCER! I kicked it about 5 times and was wondering why it wasn't starting.. I kicked it one more time and it started and ran for about 2 seconds then shut off. But I took the plug out and it started right up and ran perfect.

The thing is, I'm a very paranoid guy, and I'm worried that I may have lost some compression from this happening. I never got the chance to drive it tonight and I don't have a compression tester..

Thanks!

probably didnt do any harm. kick it and run it for a bit and see where you are from there.

if you really screwed it up do you think you actually would be able to start it?

nahh you'll be fine, it wouldnt have effected it that badly/easily.

i've done it before too, you arent the only one lol

Did it twice this spring....not an issue.

I'd shoot that horse...she's lame now  :smirk:

Thanks!

LOL no, it didn't hurt anything, relax.

We've all done it, trust me. I've lost more than one exhaust plug as it got shot somewhere across the parking lot... :lol:

I do this a lot myself, but my Devil just pops it out when it starts.  I don't think it will hurt anything unless you ride it plugged up for a while.  I think you should take Joey's advise and just ride it for a while and let it air itself out.  I'm sure you'll be fine.  Now let's talk about freaking out, ever freak out when your bike bucks you off and keeps going?  I mean, you fall, look, and the bike is MIA.  You look farther down the trail and see your rig about 100 feet away on it's side spinning wheels, so you run like crazy to try to catch it before it turns off, and as you get there, it looks at you and says........"too late, putt putt putt". This is great thread to list some crazy ass freak outs.  I'll think of it awhile and see what else I can come up with....oh wait, just hit me, how about when you finally offload the bikes, gear up, get on, start it, then ride for about a minute and the bikes dies out.  For that split second you freak out and wonder, what the hell, is my shit &%$#@!ed up?  Nope, you forgot to turn on the petcock.  :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

I do this a lot myself, but my Devil just pops it out when it starts.  I don't think it will hurt anything unless you ride it plugged up for a while.  I think you should take Joey's advise and just ride it for a while and let it air itself out.  I'm sure you'll be fine.  Now let's talk about freaking out, ever freak out when your bike bucks you off and keeps going?  I mean, you fall, look, and the bike is MIA.  You look farther down the trail and see your rig about 100 feet away on it's side spinning wheels, so you run like crazy to try to catch it before it turns off, and as you get there, it looks at you and says........"too late, putt putt putt". This is great thread to list some crazy ass freak outs.  I'll think of it awhile and see what else I can come up with....oh wait, just hit me, how about when you finally offload the bikes, gear up, get on, start it, then ride for about a minute and the bikes dies out.  For that split second you freak out and wonder, what the hell, is my shit &%$#@!ed up?  Nope, you forgot to turn on the petcock.  :devil:

ahh 490 havent seen you for a day or two

im on the mend mend...

nothing like you devil but i have had a bad few weeks...

im the kind of person that has those crazy moments, hurt as hell but gets up looks around to make sure no body was watching and trys to hop on ans get the F out of there as soon as i can..

i was racing last weekend, and was running the number 1 spot on a track i did not even get to practice, came up to this huge double and went to scrub it and got distracted for multiple reasons. missed my scrub and whipped it and over shot it, landed it and went down got up before i could reckon what happen, got back on and finished, the whole time after that im thinking about my poor baby (My bike) handle bars tweaked scratches all over and so forth.. i hate going down and hurting my bike, i dont generally care about myself until after the fact!

Yep, lost a plug or 2 that way. Heck even did it this past weekend.

ahh 490 havent seen you for a day or two

im on the mend mend...

nothing like you devil but i have had a bad few weeks...

im the kind of person that has those crazy moments, hurt as hell but gets up looks around to make sure no body was watching and trys to hop on ans get the F out of there as soon as i can..

i was racing last weekend, and was running the number 1 spot on a track i did not even get to practice, came up to this huge double and went to scrub it and got distracted for multiple reasons. missed my scrub and whipped it and over shot it, landed it and went down got up before i could reckon what happen, got back on and finished, the whole time after that im thinking about my poor baby (My bike) handle bars tweaked scratches all over and so forth.. i hate going down and hurting my bike, i dont generally care about myself until after the fact!

What's up Joey, yeah I've been freaking busy with doc appointments.  I thought all I had was one on Wednesday (tomorrow), but got my schedule all screwed up and realized I had one on Monday and another today, not to mention this hot smoking nurse that comes to my house every morning to change my dressing.  Some times, I get lucky and get a smoking RN babe, but most of the time, get this cranky old B that's always pissed off at the world.  Yeah man I use to be just like you, screw me, save the bike and is why I hold on to dear life for the sake of my bike not getting trashed, but the last time I did that, I spent 3 days in the hospital doing two surgeries on my right hand.  It was then while I sat on that freaking rubber hospital bed that I realized, shit, I can always just get the parts off eBay if something breaks, but if I lose a hand or worse, another ball, that I can't replace.  All my bikes are my babies, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty and you know you're going to get jacked, I just have to let them go and cross my fingers nothing major will foul.  Bent bars, new grips, a fender or side plate, all easily replaceable, but your body, not so much, so I'm going to have to be your big brother here and tell you, when you know you're going to eat shit, let it go man, you can always replace it.  I do know how you feel though, I felt the same way and still do.  Shit man, I talk to my bikes like they're human, give them dap every so often to let them know they're the best, and even whisper sweet nothings to them while I ride them. :lol::devil:

What's up Joey, yeah I've been freaking busy with doc appointments.  I thought all I had was one on Wednesday (tomorrow), but got my schedule all screwed up and realized I had one on Monday and another today, not to mention this hot smoking nurse that comes to my house every morning to change my dressing.  Some times, I get lucky and get a smoking RN babe, but most of the time, get this cranky old B that's always pissed off at the world.  Yeah man I use to be just like you, screw me, save the bike and is why I hold on to dear life for the sake of my bike not getting trashed, but the last time I did that, I spent 3 days in the hospital doing two surgeries on my right hand.  It was then while I sat on that freaking rubber hospital bed that I realized, shit, I can always just get the parts off eBay if something breaks, but if I lose a hand or worse, another ball, that I can't replace.  All my bikes are my babies, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty and you know you're going to get jacked, I just have to let them go and cross my fingers nothing major will foul.  Bent bars, new grips, a fender or side plate, all easily replaceable, but your body, not so much, so I'm going to have to be your big brother here and tell you, when you know you're going to eat shit, let it go man, you can always replace it.  I do know how you feel though, I felt the same way and still do.  Shit man, I talk to my bikes like they're human, give them dap every so often to let them know they're the best, and even whisper sweet nothings to them while I ride them. :lol::devil:

get on the thumper chat so we can talk! better that way i got a hell of a response to that!

LOL no, it didn't hurt anything, relax.

We've all done it, trust me. I've lost more than one exhaust plug as it got shot somewhere across the parking lot... :lol:

That is one high dollar potato gun  :smirk: 

I was ridin around the hill next to my house and was doin wheelies and on my way down i did a no hander and the throttle got stuck on FULL BORE and i got flung off of the bike and the bike went  flying down the hill and fell over right next to the woods in soft dirt and i bent my handlebars good thing it was my xr80r 

.. i hate going down and hurting my bike, i dont generally care about myself until after the fact!

thats what i do  :smirk:

Bump

Yup, that bike's totally destroyed.  It's gonna need exhaust, header, top-end, valves, crank work, and all the gaskets/o-rings replaced.  Probably a new clutch too. 

Since it's really nothing more than scrap metal now, I'll buy it from ya for $100, which is fair market value for scrap metal.

:smirk:

The only thing to worry about is if someone was standing behind the exhaust.. I've seen those plugs turn into missiles before! :D

Thanks!

I'm started my two strokes many times without removing the silencer plug, it's never hurt the bikes to my knowledge.  I can tell by the sound of the motor if I kick it with the plug in the silencer, it sounds kind of dead.