Sign in to follow this  

Buying used kx250f. Good idea?

I'm not sure whether or not I should get a used bike because the horrors I heard about (mostly owners not maintaining their bike) and the consequences such as $2000 rebuilds on an engine. I really wanted to start racing but still be able to trail ride making the 250f a perfect compromise. Anyways I don't have the money for a brand new one but I can get rid of my brand new 110L for a good amount (would also like to know a good selling price for this I have less than 15 hours on it) and I have $2000 saved right now and I was thinking of buying a used one and take it straight to the dealer to have them diagnose any problems. If there was a problem my grandpa who is really good with dirt bikes could help replace the worn out parts and I can save a little cash. My question is this a good idea? Also I would like to know what to check when I see the bike and also what year would be the best (2010 was my guess but I'm new to 250f's). Thanks

If they have papers showing a current date for a rebuild would it be less risky? Like I said I would take it straight to my dealer to get it looked at and if there was a problem it would still probably end up being cheaper than a brand new one. Are 2009's any good too?

• Like 1

If they have papers showing a current date for a rebuild would it be less risky? 

Not as much as you think. There's still a ton of other parts that don't get replaced every rebuild and there's still a ton of other little things to worry about and even if the motors fine, the transmission, clutch or everything else could be waiting to go.

You want to ride trails and race and you're concerned about costs, buy a 125. Everyone's going to tell you their 250f is rebuilt and maybe some of them are but the maintenance on them is crazy and the cost to buy one is a lot more up front as well. Plus you have to worry about how often you ride it in the trails and what not where if you buy a 125, keep track of your hours for piston and ring replacement and you're fine. I always preferred being aboard a 125 over a 250f anyways, they feel a lot lighter and less "top heavy". Nothing puts a smile on my face like a 2 stroke. Oh yeah, they're cheap to buy too. 

4 strokes are like diesels. If you can justify the extra costs to own and buy, then great but if you can't, don't try to. Unless you're looking to go pro and need every advantage, stay away. Learning on a 125 will make you a much better rider as well so there's that. Plus they hold their value pretty well, when it's time for a bigger bike you'll get close to what you paid if you don't ruin a bunch of stuff on it. 

Edited by leafsrule16
  • Like 1

The 110 just isn't what's I want for trail ride and if I got a 125 they also are hard to trail ride with

Also I'll be taking the same risk with a 125 with future clutch, transmission, etc.. Problems. Those problems I would assume would cost the same to repair compared to the 250f

The 110 just isn't what's I want for trail ride and if I got a 125 they also are hard to trail ride with

perfect comprimise in my eyes, ktm 200xc. If not buy a 250 2 stroke and add a fww

Is a 200xc enduro or motocross

yes but taking the suspension to the shop can make it competitive on a moto track. It's pretty much a 125 frame with a 200 engine. I believe the differences are sprockets, fww, and the gas tank is bigger. 

I don't recommend buying any used 4 strokes unless they have receipts to back their claims. 

Also I'll be taking the same risk with a 125 with future clutch, transmission, etc.. Problems. Those problems I would assume would cost the same to repair compared to the 250f

This is not true. If the previous owner of a 4 stroke never shimmed his valves and you were to drop one, you are looking at $1000-2000 depending on who does your work. A few weekends ago I was out at the trails and I met a guy questioned me about my KDX. He asked what year and said that he had a KLX300 that sits in his garage because on the second ride after buying it he dropped a valve and it cost more than the bike is worth to repair. On a 2 stroke that risk is non existent. Sure the previous owner might have left a piston in a little long and you have to get your cylinder replated and a new piston but that should not be any more than $300 if you do your own work. I don't have anything against 4 strokes I just think buying used is like drawing a marble. You can race a 125 too and they're cheap. 

• Like 1

Should I keep my 110l as a pitbike and get a 125? Also can a yz trail ride well or will it keep on fouling plugs? Finally if I hold onto the 110 I won't have as much to spend on a newer model so are older 125 such as a 2001 reliable and any good?

Should I keep my 110l as a pitbike and get a 125? Also can a yz trail ride well or will it keep on fouling plugs? Finally if I hold onto the 110 I won't have as much to spend on a newer model so are older 125 such as a 2001 reliable and any good?

Sell the 110l and get a 2006+ YZ 125, reliable provided you take care of it, if it's setup properly it shouldn't foul plugs

• Like 1

If it's jetted right, you will never foul a plug.

Also whoever told you a 125 is hard to trail ride is either a horrible, horrible rider or an idiot. They're not, they're a ton of fun and IMO they're easier to ride. Plus they don't overheat like old 250f's loved to do in the woods. The only real "problem" is they burn more fuel then a 4 stroke so figure out how much fuel it burns before you go off alone into the woods with no spare gas. 

Where I am there aren't many new ones so that's why I was going to get a 2001 and I can also keep my pitbike which is a lot of fun