Sign in to follow this  

2005 rmz 450 engine build help!?

Ok first of all I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I am new to this forum and could really use some help. Also thank you all in advance.

So here's my problem. I have a 2005 rmz 450 with a brand new just opened Athena 490cc big bore kit, wiseco crank and hot cams. The bike needed a top end rebuild so I've torn it down cleaned everything and now were here. I'm trying to install the new piston with the new piston connecting pin, it will slide perfectly fine through the piston itself and the connecting rod itself. But my problem is, is that whenever I try to put the piston on and slide the pin through everything to connect the piston it gets about half way through the connecting rod and just stops and won't go any further. Everything is very oiled up just before I try inserting it and from what I can see everything is aligned perfectly so I don't see where the problem is coming from. Can someone please help me and maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong? Anyone had this happen in the past? Again thank you all very much and I hope to hear something soon.

Ok first of all I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I am new to this forum and could really use some help. Also thank you all in advance.

So here's my problem. I have a 2005 rmz 450 with a brand new just opened Athena 490cc big bore kit, wiseco crank and hot cams. The bike needed a top end rebuild so I've torn it down cleaned everything and now were here. I'm trying to install the new piston with the new piston connecting pin, it will slide perfectly fine through the piston itself and the connecting rod itself. But my problem is, is that whenever I try to put the piston on and slide the pin through everything to connect the piston it gets about half way through the connecting rod and just stops and won't go any further. Everything is very oiled up just before I try inserting it and from what I can see everything is aligned perfectly so I don't see where the problem is coming from. Can someone please help me and maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong? Anyone had this happen in the past? Again thank you all very much and I hope to hear something soon.

seen a fellow in need, dont have the required knowledge, welcome to the forums and bump for someone with knowledge to read.

Tap it lightly with a rubber mallet.  It'll go through.  By all means dont bang on it though.

Thank you, we'll see I thought about taping it with a mallet but I know if I were to do that then the piston would not "fall" freely while attached to the connecting rod. It would take some considerable force to pivot the piston on the connecting rod which I'm guessing is deffinetly not ok? Thanks again for the help as I've never had this happen building an engine. Usually they just slip right in when there lubed up with some oil

Once you get the pin all the way through it will pivot on the rod just fine. I have to tap it through on almost every four wheeler i do.