Sign in to follow this  

07 450X Big guy need your help!

Looking for some advise I have been reading the forum for some time. Thanks to all the input on here I have done all the common mods, JD jetting, open air box, FMF Q4 slip on the bike runs perfect. I am trying to pin point a good setup. Mostly woods riding. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 250 lbs. I feel when riding in tight areas and standing up my center of mass is not good. I am not clumsy or fat just big. I am looking for advise. The front and rear springs are changed with race tech for my weight sag is set stock valving huge help but not quite there. Maybe lowered pegs different bars and so on. I have not been able to find a post that centers around a peson my size. Thanks for the help.

I am a large rider, and I'm riding/racing out my 10th year on the same 450x I bought in 2005. (10 year report coming soon) In '05 I was a slim 230lbs, but almost ten years of burgers and ice cream have taken me thru all the spring rates up to my current 270lbs.

I'm using real high bars, Renthal Fatbar 609's to be exact. Wide pegs, not lowered pegs, cuz I don't want to be any closer to size 12 boot grabbing obstacles. I went with a tall seat for a while, comfy while moving, but I went back to stock cuz I had a hard time getting a foot down in the tight stuff.

Suspension work is the key to major fun. The spring rate is first priority, as you have done, but I have found by experience that it is better to err on the stiff side as opposed to being sprung too light. Too light beats you to death cuz you're in the lower part of the stroke where the rate is harsh, whereas heavier springs keep you up high in the stroke where the rate is soft. If you cringe on the large hits, you might be sprung too light. I have learned that when sprung stiff enough, the big hits are confidence inspiring and the chop is less taxing. Seat of the pants testing can sometimes call for different springs than the "rate calculator". They do admit that in the fine print, God bless 'em.

Valving is a must. The stock valving is set up for a 150-175lb average joe rider at best. You add human tonnage and stiffer springs and the valving is no longer in the ballpark. I have used Rick Johnson at Too Tech and Bob Bell at Precision Concepts on my bikes over the years. Both do great work and show genuine interest in satisfying the needs of out-of-the-comfort-zone-sized guys like you and I. Huge improvement. Stock valving is no valving.   

Horsepower... I love it. My 450x hauls ass, and I am always interested in ways to make it faster and pull harder. I'm running an open airbox, FMF pipe and silencer, JD jetting, 488 big bore kit and a Hotcams Stage 2 cam. Nothing brings me more moto satisfaction than smokin' some smartass tattooed faceplant in a tacklebox type, while I'm on the rear wheel and on the gas, and he's slappin' his bars in disgust cuz he's full throttle and all he can see is my roost and my tail light. HA! 

I hope this inspires you to keep working on it, and get the maximum enjoyment out of your 450X, as I have.

The photo is from around 2009... The bike has a lot more goodies now.

The Bikes 004.jpg

The Bikes 0000.jpg

Edited by Slugboy2

I am a large rider, and I'm riding/racing out my 10th year on the same 450x I bought in 2005. (10 year report coming soon) In '05 I was a slim 230lbs, but almost ten years of burgers and ice cream have taken me thru all the spring rates up to my current 270lbs.

I'm using real high bars, Renthal Fatbar 609's to be exact. Wide pegs, not lowered pegs, cuz I don't want to be any closer to size 12 boot grabbing obstacles. I went with a tall seat for a while, comfy while moving, but I went back to stock cuz I had a hard time getting a foot down in the tight stuff.

Suspension work is the key to major fun. The spring rate is first priority, as you have done, but I have found by experience that it is better to err on the stiff side as opposed to being sprung too light. Too light beats you to death cuz you're in the lower part of the stroke where the rate is harsh, whereas heavier springs keep you up high in the stroke where the rate is soft. If you cringe on the large hits, you might be sprung too light. I have learned that when sprung stiff enough, the big hits are confidence inspiring and the chop is less taxing. Seat of the pants testing can sometimes call for different springs than the "rate calculator". They do admit that in the fine print, God bless 'em.

Valving is a must. The stock valving is set up for a 150-175lb average joe rider at best. You add human tonnage and stiffer springs and the valving is no longer in the ballpark. I have used Rick Johnson at Too Tech and Bob Bell at Precision Concepts on my bikes over the years. Both do great work and show genuine interest in satisfying the needs of out-of-the-comfort-zone-sized guys like you and I. Huge improvement. Stock valving is no valving.   

Horsepower... I love it. My 450x hauls ass, and I am always interested in ways to make it faster and pull harder. I'm running an open airbox, FMF pipe and silencer, JD jetting, 488 big bore kit and a Hotcams Stage 2 cam. Nothing brings me more moto satisfaction than smokin' some smartass tattooed faceplant in a tacklebox type, while I'm on the rear wheel and on the gas, and he's slappin' his bars in disgust cuz he's full throttle and all he can see is my roost and my tail light. HA! 

I hope this inspires you to keep working on it, and get the maximum enjoyment out of your 450X, as I have.

The photo is from around 2009... The bike has a lot more goodies now.

This is perfect just the info I was looking for, Thanks for the time. Edited by GCHEVY

6.3 rear

.54 front

Re-valve front and rear by AS Racing

Guts Racing tall seat

BRP submount with Scotts damper and KX High bars

Fastway pegs in the lowboy position

I've tried taller bar set ups with multiple bends, and this set up is the best compromise for me on this bike.

On my WR, I go 5/8" taller on the bars because the pegs are closer to the front wheel. Makes for odd standing-up transition, but better standing comfort.

Looking for some advise I have been reading the forum for some time. Thanks to all the input on here I have done all the common mods, JD jetting, open air box, FMF Q4 slip on the bike runs perfect. I am trying to pin point a good setup. Mostly woods riding. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 250 lbs. I feel when riding in tight areas and standing up my center of mass is not good. I am not clumsy or fat just big. I am looking for advise. The front and rear springs are changed with race tech for my weight sag is set stock valving huge help but not quite there. Maybe lowered pegs different bars and so on. I have not been able to find a post that centers around a peson my size. Thanks for the help.

I feel your pain bud. I am on the bigger side also..6'4 275lbs, used to be 303lbs(played D.1 college football). The best things I have done to my bike to accommodate my size is 1. getting the suspension re-sprung and re-valved by precision concepts. Made a HUGE difference! 2. I put on a pair of IMS bigfoot pegs. I wear a size 16 boot so this was a must for me. 3. Hammerhead designs +20mm shift lever. 4. BRP submount with top clamp. Raises the bars up a little...combine that with a taller bar and it felt much better.

Also all the other "mods" that everyone does on the X...exhaust..airbox..pinkwire..block off kit etc...

I went with CR high rise bars and it made a difference. I'm 6'- 255lbs. This bar change along with a gpr sub mount raised the bars high enough to make it more comfortable while standing. I'd almost still like to go slightly higher than this even but I think that would make it more uncomfortable when seated now.

This is the info I was looking to get, I have some money to save. Thanks for the help

Roxx Riser rocked my world. I'm 6-5 and it made the most difference to my comfort and control over anything else.

2" up and almost 1" forward turned it from riding with my hands at my pockets to pure comfort and control while standing.

I'm 6' 2" and tip the scales at 290 lbs.  I was 320 lbs. before my hernia surgery...it feels great to be working out again.  I have my bike sprung for my weight and have 1.5" bar risers on.  I am using a Seat Concepts seat that is normal size due to how tall my bike is with the correct springs and sag.  I am considering trying a different bar/bend because my stand up riding still doesnt feel quite right yet.