Sign in to follow this  

Cr 250 full rebuild questions

So I guess I'm gonna order all the parts for my 250 to do a complete rebuild. What special tools am I gonna need? Also where should I order my parts online to ship to canada. And what parts should I order oem or aftermarket?just hard to know where to start I have never touched a motor.Really appreciate the help

Service manual and flywheel puller and the rest you can get done with common tools.  An air impact is very nice, but not necessary.  If you get aftermarket parts, go with decent brands like wiesco, vertex, and hotrods.  Download a service manual and TAKE YOUR TIME.  You dont want to do it twice.

• Like 1

Ebay has top and bottom rebuild kits for the cr 250s for around 400 bucks, There are two kits i would spend the extra 50 bucks on the hotrod crank and wiseco piston , Follow that book step by step skipping none. Watch some videos on youtube from people with a good reputation of 2 stroke builds . https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ken+occoner+racing&page=1   All of these are good . If you get stuck ask here these guys they will help you out  :thumbsup: Don't forget to send your cylinder out first unless you buy new , takes awhile . Good luck  :ride:

Yes correct lol is it that bad. I can follow instructions and my dads pretty handy with anything mechanical, think we can pull it off?

Yes correct lol is it that bad. I can follow instructions and my dads pretty handy with anything mechanical, think we can pull it off?

Every gear, washer, and circlip has to face the correct way or it has a chance for washers to eat into other parts or circlips coming loose causing catastrophic failure . Just saying if you attempt it don't take it lightly or you will be wasting your money and time. I just finished an 01' 250 i have at least 900 bucks in it. Don't go cheap and do it correctly you will have a nice Braapcycle  :lol: Love that word. 

• Like 1

Every gear, washer, and circlip has to face the correct way or it has a chance for washers to eat into other parts or circlips coming loose causing catastrophic failure . Just saying if you attempt it don't take it lightly or you will be wasting your money and time. I just finished an 01' 250 i have at least 900 bucks in it. Don't go cheap and do it correctly you will have a nice Braapcycle :lol: Love that word.

where do I not go cheap, in the parts I order? If I was to take it in with all the parts I ordered how much labor would it be

where do I not go cheap, in the parts I order? If I was to take it in with all the parts I ordered how much labor would it be

I don't know that would depend on labor . http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/  Mail it here it will get done right or give him a call. Only one i would use if i sent one out. 

• Like 1

I don't know that would depend on labor . http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/  Mail it here it will get done right or give him a call. Only one i would use if i sent one out. 

I agree with this.  Ken oconnor racing or Eric Gorr at Forward motion will do full rebuilds if it needs it for much cheaper than the $2800 you were quoted by your dealer.  Not sure what the costs of mailing the motor back and forth from the USA to Canada would be though.

I agree with this.  Ken oconnor racing or Eric Gorr at Forward motion will do full rebuilds if it needs it for much cheaper than the $2800 you were quoted by your dealer.  Not sure what the costs of mailing the motor back and forth from the USA to Canada would be though.

I talk to ken on the phone a few time if you send one to him it gets " The full meal deal " with extra pickles and a large drink  :lol: . Every bearing, seal, snap ring ,washer, clutch disc and anything else that moves gets replaced with any parts that show wear. Also he doesn't mind spending time with you on the phone to know exactly what you want. 

I talk to ken on the phone a few time if you send one to him it gets " The full meal deal " with extra pickles and a large drink  :lol: . Every bearing, seal, snap ring ,washer, clutch disc and anything else that moves gets replaced with any parts that show wear. Also he doesn't mind spending time with you on the phone to know exactly what you want. 

I haven't ever used him but he sounds like a good dude who backs up his work.  What more could you want from a mechanic/tuner.

I haven't ever used him but he sounds like a good dude who backs up his work.  What more could you want from a mechanic/tuner.

I like his cylinder porting videos the exhaust ports have a mirror finish , it doesn't increase power but cuts down on carbon build up and says he does it mainly for appearance when you first open the box after getting your cylinder returned. Like christmas morning , Yay !  :lol:

Look at the Tusk crankshaft installation tool and their case splitter. Will be handy when you need them and they´re affordable.

• Like 1

A factory manual will give you all the tolerances for wear items. You need to be able to use a dial caliper, feeler gauges and maybe a dial indicator to really inspect parts in your motor. It's worthwhile learning.