Bent radiator leaking - fix or replace?

G'day fellas,

I rode about 100km of tight single track the other day, which included a few very challenging sections and as such - a few low speed stacks. More like no-speed stacks really, like falling sideways after failing a 1m step-up sort of thing. Anyway I bent in the left side (as you sit on the bike) of the radiator and it's got a slow leak  but only while I ride, and shortly after. Some pics to show you what I mean...

9OTGV2l.jpg

7kZjfvN.jpg

My question is whether this is fixable or not? If so, how? I think I have some JB weld or something similar lying around. Would that do? Should I try and bend it straight again first or just do my best to plug the hole? Probably should drain the cooling system before doing that though right? I'm still a mechanical retard so any help on this would be fantastic thanks.

There are options

Option one , get some E Bay Rads , they are cheap and ok for the price .

Get some Radiators braces too .

Yeah? Is there any difference between the S/SM rad compared to the E? I have a E and the cheapest ebay rads only say S/SM. Like this one....

I would take it to a radiator shop and see if they could fix it.  

If you were in the US, Myler’s would be a good choice... from what I've seen the radiators come back better than new for ~$65-100.  Otherwise search eBay for a used OE set, aftermarket (Mishimoto or Fluidyne) or buy new (OE).  Don't forget to install a set of radiator guards, especially if you ride in rocky conditions.

I would take it to a radiator shop and see if they could fix it.  

A couple of years ago, I crushed my left rad. It looked worse than yours. Took it to a local shop and they fixed it for $60.

That being said, $145 AU is a good deal for two new ones although I don't know what that translates to in $ US.

Radiator guards...

I did the same thing to mine. Had Myler's fix it for $65 and bought a good used OEM off ebay for a backup. Surely there is a good motorcycle specific radiator repair outfit Down Under? If not, I'm going to talk Myler's into footing the bill for a franchise!

Thanks guys, locals have recommended I go to Pacific Radiators for a repair job, so I'll drop it in to them today on my way out. We also have a good bike wrecker in town who usually has lots of DRZ parts so I'll see if I can get a backup set off him and order some rad guards from ebay. I need to figure out which ones will be the strongest because the terrain we ride sometimes up here is seriously rough. We have two locals heading to Romaniacs this year who have made some gnarly as hell single tracks to practice on.

Thanks again for your help, will keep you posted on how the fix-up turns out and what guards I end up buying.

Check out the B&B rad guards / Braces Made ..Here ( Down Under ) .

Not cheap But STRONG !!

Alrighty, I went to the wrecker and he had a used but good condition left rad for $165.

Went to the repair shop and they quoted me $155 to fix.

Went to ebay and bought a new set for $180

Stayed on ebay and bought unabiker rad guards for $125

Expensive shit.

Had the exact same problem on my SM, one of the PO's downed it at some point and my left radiator looked just like yours. The tube at the bottom was also bent to all hell, but it still worked - unfortunately however, the IMS tank I had wouldn't fit. I went ahead and ordered a single used radiator off an S model from Ebay, $68 shipped. While I didn't price out how much a repair would cost, I thought it was a decent deal.

Good luck however you decide!!

At just over 300 for the new rads and guards, I'm hoping they do the job and I won't have to replace again for a long time. No idea why but the E model radiators are more than twice the price of the S/SM. Eagerly awaiting delivery now.

If you were in the US, Myler’s would be a good choice... from what I've seen the radiators come back better than new for ~$65-100. Otherwise search eBay for a used OE set, aftermarket (Mishimoto or Fluidyne) or buy new (OE). Don't forget to install a set of radiator guards, especially if you ride in rocky conditions.

Mishimoto S/SM radiators are not plug and play the set I got wouldn't fit the fan and the OEM hoses were too short to meet the ports. Have been getting nothing but excuses from Mishimoto, they just don't care

Mishimoto S/SM radiators are not plug and play the set I got wouldn't fit the fan and the OEM hoses were too short to meet the ports. Have been getting nothing but excuses from Mishimoto, they just don't care

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634170.092027.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634203.411915.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634257.049627.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634286.851751.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634321.338463.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634353.307590.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634376.542982.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634440.748224.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406634488.469088.jpg