Some advice on the right sprocket size...

Hi All

New to the forum, based in Sydney Australia and recently bought an '04 XR400R. Grew up on Hondas and while I could have gone with a new CRF didn't want the extra maintenance of a water-cooled model. Very happy with the bike and condition (only 4,000 kms), however want to get a lower speed in first gear (and the pick up in acceleration would be a nice side effect).

Currently has 15 tooth front and 40 tooth rear sprocket, what would be suggestions on a good set of sprockets to move to?  Don't really need top end speed, will be mostly tighter woods trails and puttering around.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I am running 14-45 for puttering and MX-style and 15-45 (standard for europe) for longer hauls through the woods.

Hey Steve,

Throw a 45-46 on the back and you'll be happy, top speed will be low but if you're doing tight stuff, it will be good. I'm down in the Gong & have 15-39 on mine with a bit of engine work & can still throw the front wheel up in third. If you ever want a run down this way, let me know!!

14/45 tight trails

15/45 trails/road

16/45 roads

You could just try a 14T front if your not sure what will work. Cheaper to just buy a front. With 15/40, I'm not sure what your chain length is but jumping up to 15/45 or bigger on the rear may require a longer chain to go with it (US stock length is 108 links). 14/40 would be approx. the same as 15/43 for a final reduction. Then if you wanted to do some longer road miles in the future, you would just swap out the front to the original 15T and have good road gearing in 5-10 minutes.

I have a 43T rear on order for mine. That way I can run 16/43 (about the same as your 15/40), 15/43 (slightly higher than US stock) or 14/43 (slightly lower than US stock) depending on what I'm doing. My XR will mostly be on back roads and cruising through friends apple orchards, blueberry feilds etc. so I'd rather have good road gearing and will most likely have the 16/43 on most of the time.

14/45 tight trails15/45 trails/road16/45 roads

I like 14/45 for mostly trails. I can hit 65 mph, but it's not fun. Much much better than 15/45 as I use 3rd gear more.

15/45 will hit 75 mph and cruise better at 65 mph.

I like 14/45 for mostly trails. I can hit 65 mph, but it's not fun. Much much better than 15/45 as I use 3rd gear more.

15/45 will hit 75 mph and cruise better at 65 mph.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Might get a 14 and 45, that way I can try 14/40, 15/45 and 15/40 to see what works best.

Hey Steve,

Throw a 45-46 on the back and you'll be happy, top speed will be low but if you're doing tight stuff, it will be good. I'm down in the Gong & have 15-39 on mine with a bit of engine work & can still throw the front wheel up in third. If you ever want a run down this way, let me know!!

Hey great idea with the 14 front. Quick and easy first step. Intend to check out your neck of the woods, some great terrain down your way, need to get my kit sorted first though! Will let you know...

I'm good to ride most sundays & so are most of the fella's. Nowra & Belanglo are the best spots around here. Just give me a holla.

Cheers, will let you know.

im running a 14-48 and it pulls pretty good!

top speed sucks though. but thats not what xr was made for

I was runnings a 14/48 it had plenty of grunt but really lacked top end. I switched to a 15t front and think it's a good set up for my style of riding(street and trail).Tops out around 78mph but still will lug pretty well.