Sign in to follow this  

Homemade yz250 spark arrestor!

Well, sorta homemade... I have been taking programming classes at school (MasterCam programming) and run CNC machines at work. Well, I needed a spark arrestor and decided to program and machine one.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399448826.688921.jpg

Made out of 6061 aircraft grade aluminum that was sitting around the shop and some screen door material.

Thought that maybe someone here would think its a cool idea/execution. Should be enough to pass the park rangers tests :p

• Like 1

screen is for 4 strokes .that will need constant cleaning.you don,t need it except for stupid regulations.2 strokes do not throw sparks.

I'd check your local regulations. In Michigan they can still ticket you if it's not marked "USFS Approved". 

• Like 1

USFS approved engraving will be coming soon :D I had very limited time and had to take the time consuming cosmetic toolpaths out of the machining to make it before the next shift showed up.

Might end up just making a plate to put on there. It's basically a press fit on the silencer and would be a PITA to get on again haha.

USFS approved engraving will be coming soon :D I had very limited time and had to take the time consuming cosmetic toolpaths out of the machining to make it before the next shift showed up.

Might end up just making a plate to put on there. It's basically a press fit on the silencer and would be a PITA to get on again haha.

You might want to make it so the screen can be replaced or cleaned easily. My buddy has a KTM 300 XC and the Enduro Engineering Spark Arrestor End Cap that has a screen in it and he has to clean it after a few rides because it gets clogged and the bike will loose all power.

You might want to make it so the screen can be replaced or cleaned easily. My buddy has a KTM 300 XC and the Enduro Engineering Spark Arrestor End Cap that has a screen in it and he has to clean it after a few rides because it gets clogged and the bike will loose all power.

The screen is actually just crammed between the cap and the silencer through the exhaust hole. I can pick it out of there with a pair of needle nose pliers and put new stuff in by hand with some slight finagling. There isn't enough pressure hitting it to blow it out either, since it's pretty open pored compared to legitimate spark arresters. (Lasted for a day of trail riding on Saturday)

As was said by someone else, two strokes really don't make sparks. If they do, it's all caught in the expansion chamber spooge anyways. But forest rangers don't know that, so we have to have these dumb devices on our bikes.

Heres my <2 $ 15 minute spark arrestor.

Its just aluminum screen from the hardware store, pushed into a cone via finger and sandwiched with the cap. They dont clog, but the last one blew out in about 10 hours. Next time im going to use stainless screen, which should last forever. If not then no big deal, its easier than putting grips on

1399830498859.jpg

• Like 1