Chain Cutting

Hey guys, bit of an odd one,

But my chain appears to be cutting into my gear lever stalk. Is this common?

My chain is tensioned well, and lined up. but must do it on certain angles and weights of ppl.

Not common. Could be an expensive fix if you cut the shift shaft.

250 or 400?

What are the sprocket sizes?

is the slider on the swing arm worn?

Photos are helpful.

its a 250. Yeah, sorry about lack of photos.

Not sure on the sprocket size, but the chain slider is there. Could be very worn though. Bought this bike and its been poorly maintained - so it wouldnt be a surprise.

looks like its been sitting there a while.. look about quarter of the way through the shaft. Will check out the sprocket sizes when Im out in the shed next. Perhaps it needs a bigger front? or smaller?

Other chain guards and rollers are all in place. 

250s use a small front sprocket. The previous owner might have put on a smaller one. I think some 12s can be found.

When in doubt, go back to stock size. The factory knew the correct way to do things. Most of the time.

What year? It helps to know if it is an xr250r, xl250, or xr250l.

its 1999 250R if that helps.

Yep, that slider in the pic is in place, though is probably warn.. long day at work saw no sun light to take a photo. hopefully tommorow or saturday (aussie time) should get some shots to show you. 

what are the standard sizes for sprockets?

Isn't there also a roller on the bottom side to keep the chain up off the shaft? I know mine has one but can't remember the orientation off the top of my head. Maybe that's missing it would be hard to tell if it's worn if the thing is gone!

Long live the thumper!.... BRRRAAAAP