Sign in to follow this  

Where to buy metal gas cans?

Metal cans are better for preserving fuel, and I found a place on my way to riding area that sells ethanol free gas. I'm gonna buy up as much as I can for my bike, lawn equipment and cars when I pass thru there.

Granger quoted me over $120 for a metal 5 gal can. Ummm no. Where so y'all get steel gas cans??

Check with your local 4x4 crowd...they'll likely have sources for new & used containers. With the old "Jerry" cans, you just have to source the gasket for the lid. "Old school" metal filler necks are getting tougher to source. I buy the gaskets in pairs for each can(someone invariably will lose the gasket).

I lucked out and found 2 jerry cans from the 60's on Clist for $25. Look for a Safety can usually available at HD or Blowes. I can't see your location from my phone, if you'rein California it might be difficult to find one with the CARB requirements.

The downside to the old military "Jerry" cans, is no ventilation. I used to drill & install vents(with 16" vent lines). Since they were lashed down under the cage, in my cj5, I ran the vent lines to the outside air. They can, & probably will swell in any heat, without ventilation.

What makes you think metal cans are better at preserving fuel?

The same reason why graphics bubble on bikes with plastic tanks.

True. The plastic is porous. I've read gas lasts longer in metal cans than plastic.

Edited by racermx66

2 ways

1) Find someone with a used 5 gallon VP gas can, they are made of metal and can be reused.  I have several and throw them out regularly, so I know other people must have them.

2) Buy a can of VP fuel at your local motorcycle dealer depending on your ride (C12, T4, C10).  It isn't cheap ($60 per 5 gallons), but at least your getting the can AND the fuel and not just spending money on a can

• Like 4

You can also get metal cans at lawn & garden stores.  Not like home depot, but lawn mower stores that sell only that stuff.  They keep metal cans in stock for the professional guys.  I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that they are required by law to use metal cans.  Either way, those stores have metal cans.

Stay away from the "new" metal cans.  They have the EPA mandated pour spouts that don't really pour.  You can get the older style from EBay and military surplus or pay throughout the nose for a new one that actually works.  I have two new style and three old style.  

You can get 5 gal steel safety fuel cans from mc master carr for about 55 dollers .they also have closed top steel pales like what VP comes in for 25 dollars .with shipping you may be better off buying a full VP can and reusing it

Lowes and Home Depot sell 5 gal. Kerosene cans. Use the kerosene on something else like a heater or bon fire and u have the can or paint store cause thinner comes n a metal can

Edited by Jdrost72

Harbor Freight.

Yes, with your 25% coupon out of dirt rider they are $40 OTD.  They are even made in the U.S.A, they do have the sucky pour spout though.

Bought one at Rural King for 30 bucks with the funnel attached. If you don't have that store, any of the farm supply stores should have similar supply.

Metal cans are better for preserving fuel, and I found a place on my way to riding area that sells ethanol free gas. I'm gonna buy up as much as I can for my bike, lawn equipment and cars when I pass thru there.

Granger quoted me over $120 for a metal 5 gal can. Ummm no. Where so y'all get steel gas cans??

They really don't.  The $25 five gallon solvent cans are really the way to go.  The only thing a steel can might do better is keep your garage from smelling like gas (which it should if it is a mans garage) because it is less permeable than plastic.

Edited by 1987CR250R