Sign in to follow this  

Clutch not engaging after broken chain

I broke my chain on a ride a few days back. When it broke it twisted the platic chain guard pretty good and scarred the slave cylinder a little. The chain ended up wedged between the swingarm and the counter shaft sprocket with no apparent severe damage.

Put the new chain on and now the clutch is barely engaging.

My thoughts are I have either lost the prime on the slave or have knocked it out of alignment? There was a lot of torque on the chain guard when I removed the bolt that goes through it and the slave and the bolt was hard to get out due to that.

Is it possible it is out of alignment even though all bolts are in?

I broke my chain on a ride a few days back. When it broke it twisted the platic chain guard pretty good and scarred the slave cylinder a little. The chain ended up wedged between the swingarm and the counter shaft sprocket with no apparent severe damage.

Put the new chain on and now the clutch is barely engaging.

My thoughts are I have either lost the prime on the slave or have knocked it out of alignment? There was a lot of torque on the chain guard when I removed the bolt that goes through it and the slave and the bolt was hard to get out due to that.

Is it possible it is out of alignment even though all bolts are in?

Coulda bent the bolts.  I would disassemble the entire thing, inspect it and put'r back together.

How'd u throw a chain?  Doesn't happen much nowadays.

Coulda bent the bolts.  I would disassemble the entire thing, inspect it and put'r back together.

How'd u throw a chain?  Doesn't happen much nowadays.

Master link came apart. I had the chain off over the winter but had a few hours on it prior to happening? Could have been error on the part of the person who put the chain on but not sure? I know which way to put a clip on so don't ask :naughty: Don't really know why it came apart?

I had time to pull the slave, one bolt is bent. I never had the slave off before. Can't really see the bent bolt causing it after seeing it off but not sure.

i will replace the bolt and bleed the system when I get home and see what happens

Over time the clip on the master link wears paper thin from rubbing on the rear chain slider. One crash on the stock slider and it gets bent thus causing premature wear on the master link clip. I had this happen to me and went out and bought a tmdesignworks slider. Master link clip lasts for the life of the chain now

• Like 1