KTM 50 models......what is what?

My son is ready to move up off his TTR 50. He turns 7 in one month and is a good rider he is jumping and all that stuff. We race Enduro and Harescrambles. I'm looking at KTM 50's on Craigslist and keep seeing Jr, Sr, SX, SXS, and SX Pro or just Pro. Can anyone tell me what years were what and when they started calling them what? LOL

I "think" we need the Jr, but don't know what model of 2009 would be considered the Jr.

Also is there a particular year that is best to buy? Someone told me at our race last weekend to get a 2009+ Bc of clutch???

The 09 is the last year of the jr. Ktm replaced it with the sx mini starting 2010. Yes after 09 things were better clutch wise but they are still high maintenance. Around here the mini,(not to be confused with mini adventure which is air cooled) is only good for ages 4-6. Being 7 you might want to consider the senior, he should be able to handle it. Good luck and I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

• 4 weeks later...

Well unfortunately for my son, I had my throttle stick on me last weekend and I broke my tib, fib, and also tore every tendon there is to tear in my knee. Mama said "Hell No" to picking up a KTM 50 for my boy. Maybe next year when all of this fades away.

Well unfortunately for my son, I had my throttle stick on me last weekend and I broke my tib, fib, and also tore every tendon there is to tear in my knee. Mama said "Hell No" to picking up a KTM 50 for my boy. Maybe next year when all of this fades away.

Damn that sounds painful.  Hope you heal fast man.  Probably best.  I wouldn't want to race a Senior 50 in harescambles.  I don't know how well they'd hold up for motos that long.  Good luck with the talking mama into it. Don't give up :cheers:

• Like 1

Thanks man! And yes it was very painful. My tib and fib besides breaking, also became dislocated from my knee, which brought on the most serious pain I've ever experienced. Things will hopefully blow over in a year and we can get back the great father/son bonding of riding dirt bikes. Until then, keep your throttles in 100% working order and never chance it.

• Like 2