82xr500 my rebuild from hell

So I recently purchased a few xr500's with a few motors and some more parts on top of that. I am planing on doing a rebuild thread on here if anyone is interested or honestly wouldn't mind giving me some help now and again. I will get some pictures together today and get them up. Currently my garage is a mess since I did not plan on getting these but the price was very right. I think I may have gotten a little over my head on this but we will see.

I will be watching, love the 82 xr500

Parts are getting difficult to get,,Better hope you have at least one decent crank and two good main bearings..All discontinued from Honda.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2504304&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1982&fveh=132052

Doing a new rod in the 82/XL/XR is not a job for novice mechanics. You are supposed to buy an entire new crank if the rods shot. There's ways

around that if the engine rebuilder knows his XR/XL engine properly and if you can get an aftermarket rod..If you can't get a rod and the mechanic

doesn't know the tricks of the trade on 82s you are s,,o,,o,,luck.

Edited by Horri

Parts are getting difficult to get,,Better hope you have at least one decent crank and two good main bearings..All discontinued from Honda.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2504304&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1982&fveh=132052

Doing a new rod in the 82/XL/XR is not a job for novice mechanics. You are supposed to buy an entire new crank if the rods shot. There's ways

around that if the engine rebuilder knows his XR/XL engine properly and if you can get an aftermarket rod..If you can't get a rod and the mechanic

doesn't know the tricks of the trade on 82s you are s,,o,,o,,luck.

Luckily for me bikes came with one motor that has been completely rebuilt from what the guy told me a bought it from and on inspection yesterday I am thinking this is true..It is spotless on the inside. I will have at least a rolling bike tonight I hope as I got the rear wheel mocked up. I am a little bit of a scatter brained so I am thinking the forum and all the great people on here will keep me going. At the moment the short term goal is to atleast have  good running riding bike by the end of july. Cosmetic things a complete rebuild will be a winter project. 

Oh if any one would happen to know if the xr600 motors will go right in as there based off the 500 that would be mint. Thank you in advance for any help and I will get some pictures up tonight. 

'82 500 is the older non-RFVC motor, which is what you have right? Then, no, the RFVC 600 will not interchange and no parts ( or almost none) will either.

The 500 is a great old donk, just watch if you are putting the gearbox together that the locating pins are exactly lined up, or the gearbox will give you grief.

Yep its a non-RFVC motor. thanks for the info on the gear box. I have trans gears coming out my ears currently. I am trying to thin out the amount of things I have for the bikes that I don't think I will need 5 of. The xr has 83 or newer forks on it though as it is disk in the front. Oh here are some pictures..please ignore my mess of a garage. I am cleaning out this weekend to have a proper place to work on these.  so how do I upload pictures ..ha sorry now I feel dumb

Dont bin the old parts,, just squirrel them away somewhere dry. They're getting pretty rare now.

track down an XR250 flywheel, (some call them rotors) from a non rfvc motor, and it'll liven the old beast up in the lower revs

SO finally got around to not being to spazy and getting pictures up. Sad thing is I work with computers all darn day. 001.JPG002.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

SO finally got around to not being to spazy and getting pictures up. Sad thing is I work with computers all darn day. 001.JPG002.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Please ignore the mess

Well do to some things that came up I will be parting out these bikes. So is life I guess