Sign in to follow this  

Having trouble with cleaning your air filter?

Fret no more with those expensive chemicals if you're out of them. I got the oil on my hands and couldn't get it off with dish soap. So what I do? I used bleach! So I tried it on the filter! In one of the pics u see some filter oil in the top of the filter. The next picture is after I sprayed and wrung it out with water! Happy riding! I don't recommend repeated heavy use. this was a quick fix.

1399479887268.jpg

1399479914167.jpg

1399480007202.jpg

Edited by chadster54321
  • Like 1

I wouldn't work with the fitler without wearing rubber gloves.

Fret no more with those expensive chemicals. I got the oil on my hands and couldn't get it off with dish soap. So what I do? I used bleach! So I tried it on the filter! In one of the pics u see some filter oil in the top of the filter. The next picture is after I sprayed and wrung it out with water! Happy riding!

Great way to get cancer! And ruin the foam and glue.

Doesn't bleach break down the glue used in the foam filters?

i would think so, i wouldn't really want bleach on my skin either.

it didn't hurt the foam at all. It's just foam what is going to happen? The glue is fine too I already have it reoiled I'm just waiting for it to dry. And yes use gloves unless you want your hands feeling dry as &%$#@! lol.

Doesn't bleach break down the glue used in the foam filters?

i would think so, i wouldn't really want bleach on my skin either.

it didn't hurt the foam at all. It's just foam what is going to happen? The glue is fine too I already have it reoiled I'm just waiting for it to dry. And yes use gloves unless you want your hands feeling dry as &%$#@! lol.

With repeated use the bleach will degrade the glue and your filter will fall apart. It will first get small holes in the seams that are glued together. This is bad because you may not notice them right away and they will let dirt and other crud into your engine.

With repeated use the bleach will degrade the glue and your filter will fall apart. It will first get small holes in the seams that are glued together. This is bad because you may not notice them right away and they will let dirt and other crud into your engine.

This was a quick fix. I'll be getting a new filter later on. I ain't planning on keeping this filter. I just thought people would be interested in knowing this in case they are in the same situation or run out of solvent. I misworded my post.

I wouldn't use gas or fuel it expands the foam and will let dirt thru over time but it's your bike and your allowed to do what you wish...just sayin

Bleach is an oxidizer.  It makes things rust.  It is also extremely difficult to rinse off, and it's not obvious because it doesn't foam up.  It doesn't have any degreasing or solvent properties, and it looks like maybe the spot was where some oil had trapped some dirt you didn't get out.  The bleach probably cleaned or "bleached out" the stain.   I just don't think I'd want my engine breathing through a filter that might have any left on it.

I get it though.  It was a quick fix and temporary at that.  That is how I ruined the finish on one of my wheels.  The aluminum wheel cleaner (for cars)  cleaned my tires great, but really screwed up the finish on the rim.

I used to the spray can Maxima filter cleaner i think. It didnt to a good job and it smelt like gas or petro product. I use gas and the filtercomes out new. I also buy 2 or 3 filters every spring and toss the old ones, even if it looks okay. Why use an air filter that will break down and let dust in, over and over again. Same concept of a piston and rimgs. Still good for 20-30hrs, but why risk it. Saving money in the long run i hope.

OxyClean laundry detergent and water, the cleanest I've ever seen a filter come.

Does that work on BelRay oil? Thanks.

OxyClean laundry detergent and water, the cleanest I've ever seen a filter come.

Seems like it would be a winner. I have a gallon pail of kerosene i use over n over.

I didn't know so many guys were deathly afraid of a little bleach on their hands.

• Like 2

I have found that Diesel fuel works very well to clean the filters. It will not break down the glue, or damage the foam. I basically put enough in the bottom of a small container that I can cover the filter in diesel and then while holding it under the surface just keep wringing out the filter. The diesel will break the filter oil down, thin it out, and cause it to no longer stick to the filter foam. Sometimes, if I'm short on time, or just feeling lazy, I'll just leave the filter submerged in the diesel over-night.

When you pull it out, just wring it out well by hand, and then use Dawn dish washing soap to clean the remaining diesel fuel out. Rinse with plenty of clean water, and then let the filter dry. The filter will look brand new after doing this.

It's never easy cleaning filters but it is always necessary.

• Like 1

I just started using mineral spirits. There is others on here who recommend it. Worked great filter came out real clean just dip it in and you can use it more than once I use a hard Tupperware container and just put the top on when I'm done I rinse with soap and water after but I guess it's not mandatory.

Edited by Mtrain730
  • Like 1

I'm always tempted to try some fancy cleaner.....but diesel fuel has worked well for me for so long, why change?

Easy to dispose of too.  Just pour it on to the burnfire pit and light it. 

I often think that I should put a gallon of it in a 5-gallon jug that has a top and reuse it.  Instead I use a 1/4 1/5 of a gallon and toss it.  But I do do all three bike filters at once with it, so that dozen+ ounces served its purpose.  Dump and light.

CooHead

• Like 1