cush drive, to be or not to be?

I am not even sure what cush drive is or is for. Does it have something to do with the notched half wheels on either side of the axle?

I will be putting on a rm250 swing arm and am not clear if my 90 dr350s with cush drive adds complication to the mod. Later year SE bikes did away with cush drive to be the same as the dirt bikes. 

The cush drive is basically some rubber bushings between the sprocket carrier and the hub on the rear wheel. It helps protect the transmission from shock. On dirt the tire can break free easier and doesn't shock the tranny like on tarmac. Thats why dirt bikes don't use them.

Thanks seacraft69. So basically it is a good thing for an enduro. Guess when I get it apart I should check those rubber bushings for wear.

Yeah if the sprocket carrier falls out or it comes out real easy they're probably worn. Sometimes you can use pieces of innertube wraped around them to get some more life out of them. My dr 650 eats those things though.

Oh and the half moon things are snail adjusters. They should have marks and numbers on them. You use those to adjust the chain. They need to be on the same mark so the wheel runs straight in the swingarm.

I'm seeking (I think) a cush drive hub for my '99 DR350SE.  I gather that earlier SEs had them.  Anyone know (1) Would an earlier SE rim with a cush hub fit my '99?    (2) What should such a rim cost, in good, reasonably straight cost?  and (3)  Would the change be worth it for mixed street, highway, and easy dirt riding?

Thanks in advance-

I'm seeking (I think) a cush drive hub for my '99 DR350SE.  I gather that earlier SEs had them.  Anyone know (1) Would an earlier SE rim with a cush hub fit my '99?    (2) What should such a rim cost, in good, reasonably straight cost?  and (3)  Would the change be worth it for mixed street, highway, and easy dirt riding?

Thanks in advance-

1  yes, your axle slides right in

2  from 140 to 200

3  i doubt it, as the factory eliminated it altogether

Thanks, plugeye.  I've been assuming it was an economics/efficiency change, because the SEs had them up until 2006 (I think).  All my bikes over the years have had them, thought that's not many, ending with a '99 KLR650.  I've thought of it as a standard, useful item on a street bike at least. 

Thanks, plugeye.  I've been assuming it was an economics/efficiency change, because the SEs had them up until 2006 (I think).  All my bikes over the years have had them, thought that's not many, ending with a '99 KLR650.  I've thought of it as a standard, useful item on a street bike at least. 

yes, a 650 needs the cush, but i suppose a 350 is tame enough for non-cush

yes, a 650 needs the cush, but i suppose a 350 is tame enough for non-cush

This. 

Very useful on torquier, higher HP bikes - kind of a moot point and extra weight on a 350.