1983 XR350 with a knock

I've found a 1983 Honda XR350 that I could get for not much money, the problem is the present owner says that the motor has a knock.  It starts right up but has a knock.  Should I run for the hills or take on the challenge to fix it?  Without getting into the motor, can anyone tell me what repairs I would probably be looking at?

Thanks, 

Read the other post you put up in Vintage..

I waould assume the knock is probly the timing chain going out or the wrist pin on the piston. It could also be the valves are way out of adjustment but that would be more of a ticking sound. I had a slight knock changed out the timing chain and the knock went away.

83-84 bikes had severe chronic overheating problems.  THey completely redid the bike for  85, going to a remote oil sump in an effort to cool things down. Helped some.

Just too many problems and parts are getting to be a problem.  
Run. 

Have you herd the knock yet? I would at least go look at it and hear it for yourself. Engine noise is a great bargaining point....haha. I got a really nice XR4 for $900 because it had a worn timing chain. As long as you can get a deal on it and work on it yourself go for it!!

Have you herd the knock yet? I would at least go look at it and hear it for yourself. Engine noise is a great bargaining point....haha. I got a really nice XR4 for $900 because it had a worn timing chain. As long as you can get a deal on it and work on it yourself go for it!!

The 350's have a bearing in the bottom of the motor that can't be replaced. !!

They also have had transmisson problems (3d gear usually) and those parts are getting to be hard to find. 

Crankshafts are all gone bye bye.  Have to be rebuilt.  $400+ for mine. 

400 be a WHOLE different beast. But now, in 2014, I'd let that sucker sit.