Rmx

I was talking to an old buddy I used to trail ride with when I was 14-15 years old. He used to have a Suzuki rmx. I thought it was neat. It was really great n the woods. Like the kdx. A course he got rid of it a few years later cause he had a kid and got out of riding. He's wanting to start up riding again 25 years later. But my question is r those bikes still around

I too was a fan of the RMX. There are no doubt a few around, but today, who would want one, the world has passed them by. KTM has pretty well taken over the "off road" segment of bikes, and is about the only one, well, maybe Beta and Husky (Husaberg is a KTM sort of) too, that offers non MX specific bikes for off road, like trail riding, enduro, hare-n-hound, etc. Two and four strokes are offered. I think that the Japanese companies have missed the boat, wish they were still making these bikes. Honda does have the CRF450X, and Yamaha has the WR450, both good bikes, if a bit heavy. Well, if you are looking for the vintage aspect, forget what I just said, an RMX ought to be found somewhere, or maybe an IT Yamaha.

Edited by husabuzzard

I just past a chance at '91 for $900.00.  It needed a frame up done to it. 

I picked up a '95 KDX200 instead.  The 95-06 KDX200 or 97-06 KDX220 would be a good choice on a budget.  Good parts availability.

The rmx is dated, so is the kdx. They still make good reliable bikes, but modern suspension, brakes, and ergonomics, are more than worth the extra cash, with a little bit of searching you could find a $2500 250 that has the basics already done for you. About what you would spend on a really clean kdx.

I see them from time to time for sale so they are still around.  Good old bikes in their day but they would probably feel dated compared to some of the bikes available now.

The rmx is dated, so is the kdx. They still make good reliable bikes, but modern suspension, brakes, and ergonomics, are more than worth the extra cash, with a little bit of searching you could find a $2500 250 that has the basics already done for you. About what you would spend on a really clean kdx.

I'm pretty dated myself...  A good USD fork swap w/brake and revalve will make the suspension/brakes work much better.  As for the ergonomics, I'm old and like them better then newer designs.  It still gets the job done.  I'll have less then $1500.00 in it total when I'm done.   Good deals are out there. 

I would like to do a WR426 gear swap to a late YZ250 with a Recluse, but that will have to wait for another day...

I would look for a 99' and later yz250. Probably the best value in used dirtbikes today.

A killer motor,  good chassis,  parts interchangability, and availability, (both OEM and aftermarket) make them

the no-brainer, go-to, 2-stroke of the era. They are the equivalent of the small block Chevy to hot- rodders.

Nothing has seen 15 years of continuous production in a performance off-road bike.

Ride it as-is, or modify it to be competitive with anything out there.

You could do the same with the RMX, but it would still have a funky powervalve setup.

The are not many RMX around , most are rough .

Someone on here bought one for $100 recently