Brake pedal gouging boot

I recently starting riding (I have a YZ125), and as I am getting more used to the different dynamics of the bike, I find that I prefer braking with the rear brake. I think it is because the front tends to lock up quicker..

Anyway, because of my rear braking, I am getting a lot of wear on the ball of my right boot, under my big toe area. The rubber/plastic of the boot looks as if I've taken a cheese grater to it after only 3 rides.

My boots are Jett J1's.

I have just tried filing the teeth on the pedal - I will test it in the morning.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and how I could prevent it in future? Should I be using the front brake more? - I need to start riding the right way before developing bad habits...

Also - is riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs a good idea (to avoid the brake until necessary)? 

Thanks

You should be using the front brake 60-70% and rear 40-30%. I say 70-30. How hard are you stomping on the thing? I've seen pegs chew up my boots but not brake pedals. Possibly try a harder sole or different boot. I had 2 season on my (atrocious, do NOT recommend) Tech 3s w/ offroad soles that the stock worn pegs were just beginning to chunk down my soles badly. I had Fly Mavericks as an über noob, those chunked away in 2 months to my socks.

The kickstarter lands even with the foot peg. I'll bet that is what tears your soles up.

I don't stomp on it much.. I will need to try the front brakes more.

I'll have a look at the kickstart and get back to you. :thumbsup:

Try Sidi SRS boots.

I don't stomp on it much.. I will need to try the front brakes more.

I'll have a look at the kickstart and get back to you. :thumbsup:

Gaerne SG12 boots are great.

ride on the balls of your feet yes, if you are casing a jump or hitting a triple or quad that is high, then move your feet to the middle.

yea the brake can tear them up, dont file on your pegs. just get a good boot.

use your front brake 70 percent and both at same time and rear 30.

Try to safety wire a small piece of split rubber tubing over the teeth

No way it's the kick starter.  They are generally smooth and see very little contact.  My bet is the foot pegs.  I have a buddy with SG12's and they too are getting chewed up.

No way it's the kick starter.  They are generally smooth and see very little contact.  My bet is the foot pegs.  I have a buddy with SG12's and they too are getting chewed up.

Your toes hit the peg when you kick the starter.

Your toes hit the peg when you kick the starter.

Yep, the kickstarter itself wont do it, but slamming your foot down on the peg when you kick it over will. My right sole is shredded just as described, the left is fine.

Yep, the kickstarter itself wont do it, but slamming your foot down on the peg when you kick it over will. My right sole is shredded just as described, the left is fine.

I checked it this afternoon - it is the footpeg when I kickstart the bike!! :facepalm: How do I prevent this? I started with my toes - but it feels like I'm gonna slip off and hurt myself properly.. hehe.

I checked it this afternoon - it is the footpeg when I kickstart the bike!! :facepalm: How do I prevent this? I started with my toes - but it feels like I'm gonna slip off and hurt myself properly.. hehe.

Kick with the rotation of the lever, not straight down. Toes pointed up. If I can do it with a 250 2T and Raptor pegs without shredding my boots, you can do it too.