Sign in to follow this  

FMF silencer dent/bend. RCT4.1

Well, lets just say I have the worse luck with pipes. Last year, my first race on my new bike, 2013 yz250f, I went down in the first corner and put a dent in my stock silencer. Nothing too bad. Over the winter I got a great deal on a new out of package rct 4.1 system. Sunday was my first race with it. Total it has about 4 rides on it. Today I was sitting next to my bike and I noticed something didn't look right. I cant believe it. Is there anything I can do or is it toast?

Pics in a second.

I don't know when or how it happened. Never went down hard. I do remember someone getting into the back of me in the 2nd corner during one of my motos, but it wasn't too hard. Pretty pissed right now.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's mostly just cosmetic. The packing might be a bit squished in the middle area making it just slightly louder than new. I bet you couldn't tell any difference in a back to back test (power or sound wise) between this one and a new one without a decibelmeter and dyno.

Edited by woods-rider

Stock system is back on. A guy up the road who has a private track I ride at as well as a garage is going to see what he can do to get the dent popped out. I guess we will just wait and see. Doubt it's fixable though.

I believe you can buy a new end cap from fmf complete with rivets, etc.

Jason

2002 KDX220R

2003 KLR 650

I saw that. Fix it best you can and throw a new end cap on it. Good as new

Jason

2002 KDX220R

2003 KLR 650

Edited by JasonK94Z

I saw that. Fix it best you can and throw a new end cap on it. Good as new

Jason

2002 KDX220R

2003 KLR 650

Going to try. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. 

Bad luck. I had the same thing happen and could figure out for the life of me where the dent and all the scratches came from.  Ended up being the rear tire coming down way too hard cause the suspension bottomed out and caused the dent.

Tear it apart and take the blue sleeve to a muffler shop or a mechanics shop, they should have I think its like a hone that will fit inside of it and it will straighten it out pretty good, not brand new but good enough

Tear it apart and take the blue sleeve to a muffler shop or a mechanics shop, they should have I think its like a hone that will fit inside of it and it will straighten it out pretty good, not brand new but good enough

This would ruin it.

Expanders only make it round. Won't work on oval.

If it were me, I would gut the silencer, make a wood block 4x4 or 4x6 the shape and size needed to fit tight inside (exact shape) then drive it through from one end to the other.

That should straighten it out.

Just my 2¢

Edited by ridngslikecrack

This would ruin it.

If it were me, I would gut the silencer, make a wood block 4x4 or 4x6 the shape and size needed to fit tight inside (exact shape) then drive it through from one end to the other.

Just my 2¢

Not sure if you saw my newest post. Got it pretty straight.

• Like 1

Not sure if you saw my newest post. Got it pretty straight.

Yep, but I believe it could be almost unnoticeable, if you try what I said.

In exhaust shops we use cones to straighten dents in pipes and mufflers ends, slam them on floor to basically resize the pipe or muffler.

If you were to try my method. It may take it almost all out.

Or just run it till you kink it again then replace it.

Lol

Good luck.

• Like 1

This would ruin it.

Just my 2¢

That's just the way I fixed my fmf, figured it may work for him but looks like he got it pretty close

That's just the end cap, there's no flow in that area so it won't hurt a thing. It's just cosmetic.

If it bothers you (it would me :lol: ) just order a replacement end cap from FMF.

That's just the end cap, there's no flow in that area so it won't hurt a thing. It's just cosmetic.

If it bothers you (it would me :lol: ) just order a replacement end cap from FMF.

It wasn't just the end cap. It is still a little tweaked near the bold hole. Way better than it was.