Sign in to follow this  

08 rmz, oil filter, and oil changes!

Hey!

Did the first oil change on my 08 and oh joy, oil everywhere out of the breather hose.

I was told to remove the upper cap (dunno what it's called, sorry) on the shifter side, of the two allen circular gaskets to give some breathing room when removing the second drain plug.

I removed both drain plugs, did a filter change, let it drain for a while, also held the kill switch while kicking it over a few times.

Put 950 ML in, and when I started it oil poured out everywhere. Long story short I just ended up doing a whole new oil change again just to see what was up, and then it didnt happen. I researched and found the allen bolt that is the check bolt, but when I open it, oil still comes out, and I'm pretty positive I didn't overfill it. Idunno. Making me lose my mind.

Also, the filter didn't have a spring from the previous owner, weird, I ordered a new one. I assume the filter goes in with the open end first, then the spring goes on the back side with the closed cap side, against the cover, and cover goes on?

Advice for the first, and answer to the second question would be great.

Thanks!

Have fun trying to get the strainer out on the left side behind the shifter! 

I do as you did and fill with 950-1000ml of Rotella and don't check the overflow.  I changed the oil last weekend after about 25 hours and it still looked good.

My strainer wasnt a problem getting out.I even stuck a magnetic screw driver in ,pulled out metal bits.

Probably bits that have been over looked since new.Just picked up my 07 with 25 hrs.

I changed oil like above ,,then again after a few rides.Thats when I found bits(as manual says)in strainer flow area.

Edited by Dsmc

Have fun trying to get the strainer out on the left side behind the shifter! 

I do as you did and fill with 950-1000ml of Rotella and don't check the overflow.  I changed the oil last weekend after about 25 hours and it still looked good.

Uh oh.

Strainer? :( 

What strainer. Oh no. hah.