Hawaii riders help me out please

Hawaii

Im gonna be moving to Hawaii around the end of this year for work. I know for a fact that Ill be living in the area for the next 3 years, so here is my dilemma. I have no idea how much riding there is to be had in Hawaii, so should I bring my bikes with me or should I send them to my parents house in AZ? Any help/info would be appreciated.

Im gonna be moving to Hawaii around the end of this year for work. I know for a fact that Ill be living in the area for the next 3 years, so here is my dilemma. I have no idea how much riding there is to be had in Hawaii, so should I bring my bikes with me or should I send them to my parents house in AZ? Any help/info would be appreciated.

What Island are you going to and what kind of riding do you want to do out there?  Trails, track?

What Island are you going to and what kind of riding do you want to do out there?  Trails, track?

Im going to be going to O'ahu and mostly trail riding.

I'm in Arizona. I'll look after them for you. Trust me.

Mike

I'm in Arizona. I'll look after them for you. Trust me.

Mike

Hmmm I dont know If I can trust somebody from Flagstaff lol. Sorry Mike

Im going to be going to O'ahu and mostly trail riding.

I grew up on Oahu and we do have some really good trail riding, problem is, most of it is illegal.  Kahuku is the only really legal trail system on Oahu.  It's a lot of fun with the red dirt and some fun woodsy hillclimbs. but it gets crowded since its only really open on the weekends.  The not-really-legal-but-not-enforced trails are a blast though.  

Where are you going to be living? If you're going to be living in town (Honolulu), I can tell you that space is a premium and if you can't find a place with a garage, you better keep that locked up good outside cause some people tend to take.

As far as bringing bike(s?) over, I wouldn't advise it unless you are already bringing a lot of stuff and you have a whole shipping container reserved.  When I was going to school in California, I wanted to bring my bike out but it was going to be a lot of money (i think around $900) and they won't ship unless your title and VIN is in order, and since I didn't have a title in HI (almost no one does) California wouldn't let me get a registration.  Best thing would to buy a bike there.  

Just curious, where are you going to be working?   

Lots of moto-vloggers in Hawaii, might be worth reaching out to them.

These guys are based on Maui

http://www.mauimotoadventures.com/

I grew up on Oahu and we do have some really good trail riding, problem is, most of it is illegal.  Kahuku is the only really legal trail system on Oahu.  It's a lot of fun with the red dirt and some fun woodsy hillclimbs. but it gets crowded since its only really open on the weekends.  The not-really-legal-but-not-enforced trails are a blast though.  

Where are you going to be living? If you're going to be living in town (Honolulu), I can tell you that space is a premium and if you can't find a place with a garage, you better keep that locked up good outside cause some people tend to take.

As far as bringing bike(s?) over, I wouldn't advise it unless you are already bringing a lot of stuff and you have a whole shipping container reserved.  When I was going to school in California, I wanted to bring my bike out but it was going to be a lot of money (i think around $900) and they won't ship unless your title and VIN is in order, and since I didn't have a title in HI (almost no one does) California wouldn't let me get a registration.  Best thing would to buy a bike there.  

Just curious, where are you going to be working?   

Im not really sure where I will be living as of yet. Possibly the Ewa Beach area. Im still looking at my house options. I do electrical work on Submarines for the Navy. I know I can stay on the base when I initially get there, but I dont want to let that be my permanent residence. I have the title for one of my bikes the other one Im actually paying off at the moment. I would like to at least bring one with me if can.

Whiskey badger has it about right. I live on oahu.when you get here pm me and we can go ride.

I'd recommend you plan on taking one out there.  Kahuku is a great place to ride (Open on weekends and Federal Holidays only).  I raced / rode a lot out there 90-92ish.  Like the other guy said, make sure you have a place to store your bike (securely).

Kahuku is awesome I'm up there pretty much every weekend now, and it's only $10 for the day for non-members and $5 for members.  There are a ton of trails, and a decent track so I think it's worth it if the Navy is shipping it for free anyway, and if you decide it isn't I bet you can sell your bike for more in Hawaii anyway.  I'm transfering out of Hawaii at the end of the year, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.   

So did you make it to Oahu and kahuku?  Have you found anywhere else on the island to ride?  I"m sill looking for other places to ride.