Sign in to follow this  

anyone have experience getting a knee brace thru insurance?

hey guys i am looking at getting a knee brace to prevent any acl injuries. only problem is their super expensive! i have heard that you can sometimes get one through your insurance provider? anyone have info on that or has anyone gotten a knee brace through their insurance?

thanks for the replies :)

hey guys i am looking at getting a knee brace to prevent any acl injuries. only problem is their super expensive! i have heard that you can sometimes get one through your insurance provider? anyone have info on that or has anyone gotten a knee brace through their insurance?

thanks for the replies :)

It's really easy to get a knee brace through your insurance actually. I went through my doctor, but found this googling for 'knee brace insurance coverage check': http://www.shop-orthopedics.com/insurance-coverage-check-a/274.htm

Most doctors seem happy to prescribe a knee brace for preventative use or just maintenance of the knee after surgery on something like an ACL. I just told mine that I didn't want to wreck my knees and he wrote up a script no problem. I had to pay the copay, but I have two shiny new CTi knee braces now, and my knees feel more protected than ever.

Getting an Rx from the doctor is easy. Getting an insurer to pay for a prophylactic brace is a hard fight with a short stick.

I couldn't get my insurance to get me any until after it was established I had messed up knees. You think insurance would be more generous with preventative measures, seeing as how they have now paid over $30,000 on my messed up knees, and its probably going to be more over a lifetime. 

Other people have had luck with having any special need though....

You first have to meet your deductible before they take off the %. Like my insurer, I first meet my deductible then I get the Dr. to wright me a Rx for the knee brace's. I order the brace's online through some brace company. They have this code for the brace in which I'm buying. I take this code and the receipt  from where I ordered the brace and mail it to my Insurer. They get all the info that they need and then take off 80% and I pay for 20% and they send me a check for the out of pocket expense.