Lighting Stator advice for 2T

I don't ride much during the summer due to COPD and asthma it's just too damn hot. I would like to start riding at night when it cools off more like 60* instead of 90* . Any suggestions on a light setup and stator to run them. No cheap chinese stuff . Actually thought of getting a light and housing off an old XR or something , but i'm sure there are better looking and brighter setups out there with the LED's. Wanting it for my CR250 .

I don't ride much during the summer due to COPD and asthma it's just too damn hot. I would like to start riding at night when it cools off more like 60* instead of 90* . Any suggestions on a light setup and stator to run them. No cheap chinese stuff . Actually thought of getting a light and housing off an old XR or something , but i'm sure there are better looking and brighter setups out there with the LED's. Wanting it for my CR250 .

Come on over to the dark side Beau where orange is the new red :smirk:.   The bike will come with everything you need to make lighting easy ;)

Come on over to the dark side Beau where orange is the new red :smirk:.   The bike will come with everything you need to make lighting easy ;)

:lol:  That's awesome. I enjoy wrenching on my bike but not that much .  :p  I've never rode a KTM i'd give it a shot, they come with air conditioning too ? 

:lol:  That's awesome. I enjoy wrenching on my bike but not that much .  :p  I've never rode a KTM i'd give it a shot, they come with air conditioning too ? 

I think the A/C has been proposed for the '16 models :) But if they release A/C before direct injection I'm going to be PO'ed...lol

I think the A/C has been proposed for the '16 models :) But if they release A/C before direct injection I'm going to be PO'ed...lol

No doubt i want a bolt on EFI system for my 250 and a supercharger , with A/C of course .  :thumbsup:

Anyway, getting back to the topic.  Before I bought a KTM I was considering a used cr.  I was also considering a new yz.  I researched this extensively and it seemed the "go to" lighting consensus was Baja Designs or Enduro Engineering.

Also, at the time I found this site in the UK.  I contacted them and told them I didn't need a street legal kit, just some offroad lighting for a '13 yz-250.  They quoted me around $500 with shipping included:

http://www.proracing.co.uk/xc_lighting_honda_cr125_250_500.htm

Anyway, getting back to the topic.  Before I bought a KTM I was considering a used cr.  I was also considering a new yz.  I researched this extensively and it seemed the "go to" lighting consensus was Baja Designs or Enduro Engineering.

Also, at the time I found this site in the UK.  I contacted them and told them I didn't need a street legal kit, just some offroad lighting for a '13 yz-250.  They quoted me around $500 with shipping included:

http://www.proracing.co.uk/xc_lighting_honda_cr125_250_500.htm

Yea i don't want all of that , My last bike i just rigged it up with 2 led flashlights and actually worked pretty good . I just used them when i was out on a trail and it started getting dark . So i didn't have to ride like a maniac getting back to my truck. 

IMG_2006.JPG

Yea i don't want all of that , My last bike i just rigged it up with 2 led flashlights and actually worked pretty good . I just used them when i was out on a trail and it started getting dark . So i didn't have to ride like a maniac getting back to my truck.

I know you said you didn't want anything cheap, but did you see what I did to the cr and the kx?

I know you said you didn't want anything cheap, but did you see what I did to the cr and the kx?

No i didn't see, i don't mind thrifty but not chinese 4 dollars break in 2 weeks cheap  :lol:

No i didn't see, i don't mind thrifty but not chinese 4 dollars break in 2 weeks cheap :lol:

Just scroll down past the mechanical stuff on this page until you get to the electrical. I have this taillight on my KTM and I've looped the bike out at least twice and it has stood up...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1078156-spring-rebuild-pictorial/page-6

Edited by Fattonz

Check out Tusk products.  They offer a pretty descent enduro lighting kit.  Or you could wing it yourself and simply hook up a hot wire to a voltage regulator and a capacitor.  LED is definitely the way to go. :devil: 

Check out Tusk products.  They offer a pretty descent enduro lighting kit.  Or you could wing it yourself and simply hook up a hot wire to a voltage regulator and a capacitor.  LED is definitely the way to go. :devil:

O yes for sure going led . 

I could always go back to my two LED flashlight setup  :lol:

Cool i saved that page i will probably refer to it as i do mine. Good job :thumbsup:

You can take my set up a step farther, and as Devil says run a wire from the hot lead of the stator to a regulator/rectifier then after the rectifier install a 1000uF capacitor rated 16 or 25 volts between the positive and negative leads.....this will give you the regulated 14-15 volts DC you need to keep the battery at full charge and negate having to use a battery tender.

Electrical components are dirt cheap:

Regulator/rectifier:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270999908880?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Capacitor:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-x-1000uF-16V-105C-Radial-Electrolytic-Capacitor-/260814972891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb9c8a7db&_uhb=1

It's a LOT simpler than it sounds ;)

Edited by Fattonz

You can take my set up a step farther, and as Devil says run a wire from the hot lead of the stator to a regulator/rectifier then after the rectifier install a 1000uF capacitor rated 16 or 25 volts between the positive and negative leads.....this will give you the regulated 14-15 volts DC you need to keep the battery at full charge and negate having to use a battery tender.

Electrical components are dirt cheap:

Regulator/rectifier:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270999908880?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Capacitor:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-x-1000uF-16V-105C-Radial-Electrolytic-Capacitor-/260814972891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb9c8a7db&_uhb=1

It's a LOT simpler than it sounds ;)

I'm an electrical idiot but may try it out. 

Try here.

I don't think you want to tap into the ignition circuit.  Many CRs don't have an accessory circuit.  What year is the bike?