Possible Cylinder Replacement 02 CR250R

I lost compression on my bike during a ride and the engine just sputtered out.  Luckily my buddies had a tow rope and I was able to get back to the truck 30 miles away.  

Long story short.... I removed the cylinder and saw that the piston ring had caught on something in the cylinder and broke a small top side section of the piston off.  I checked the cylinder and it looks like the ring got caught on the bridge of the exhaust valve.  The top middle section of the exhaust valve (calling it the bridge) has been worn and is missing some material.  I took it to a machine shop and they are going to get back to me on a price but said it might be cheaper to buy a new cylinder.  As I see it my options are as follows:

1.  have them repair the cylinder and nikesil it.

2.  replace the cylinder with a new one (I can not find one without buying a whole assemble $600)

3.  Have it bored out and go to a 265.

Any suggestions.  I am a desert rider and want something that is reliable.  I have read through this thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/958396-2003-cr250-cylinder-and-top-end-advice/?hl=%20cylinder%20%20replacement where people were mentioning that new cylinders could be had for $300 and less but followed all of the links and did not fine the cylinder by itself.  BTW the description in this thread seems to match mine but I did not see a crack in mine just worn. What would I need to do to put the 265 piston in?  I would like to have more low end torque.  

andy

I lost compression on my bike during a ride and the engine just sputtered out.  Luckily my buddies had a tow rope and I was able to get back to the truck 30 miles away.  

Long story short.... I removed the cylinder and saw that the piston ring had caught on something in the cylinder and broke a small top side section of the piston off.  I checked the cylinder and it looks like the ring got caught on the bridge of the exhaust valve.  The top middle section of the exhaust valve (calling it the bridge) has been worn and is missing some material.  I took it to a machine shop and they are going to get back to me on a price but said it might be cheaper to buy a new cylinder.  As I see it my options are as follows:

1.  have them repair the cylinder and nikesil it.

2.  replace the cylinder with a new one (I can not find one without buying a whole assemble $600)

3.  Have it bored out and go to a 265.

Any suggestions.  I am a desert rider and want something that is reliable.  I have read through this thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/958396-2003-cr250-cylinder-and-top-end-advice/?hl=%20cylinder%20%20replacement where people were mentioning that new cylinders could be had for $300 and less but followed all of the links and did not fine the cylinder by itself.  BTW the description in this thread seems to match mine but I did not see a crack in mine just worn. What would I need to do to put the 265 piston in?  I would like to have more low end torque.  

andy

Hondaeasttoledo.com has new 02 cylinders for $389

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.net/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda/CR250R_A_(02)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2ME033-2M400001_TO_JH2ME033-2M499999/CYLINDER_HEAD_(%2702-%2704)/CR250R-02-JPN-A/2Y14KZ32KZ3AE0100BC

You can also have millennium replate it, you could call them and see how much a replate would cost. 

Partzilla.com is a bit cheaper at $374. 

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2002/CR250R+A/CYLINDER+HEAD+%2802-04%29/parts.html

Edited by frdbtr

I have an 03 complete motor for sale, it has 3.4 hrs on new cylinder and prox piston.  I may be up for splitting it up into a top end and bottom end.  

+1 on Honda East. Got a cylinder for my 125 for under half price

Recently got an 07 250 cyl from Honda East for $309.... cheaper than a replate for me

I have an 03 complete motor for sale, it has 3.4 hrs on new cylinder and prox piston.  I may be up for splitting it up into a top end and bottom end.  

How much for the top?

Recently got an 07 250 cyl from Honda East for $309.... cheaper than a replate for me

The 05-07 are cheaper then the 02-03 and seem to be designed a lot differently.   Could I put an 05-07 on my 02 if I bought a new power valve?  Or are there even more parts that need to be replaced possible the exhaust?

The 05-07 are cheaper then the 02-03 and seem to be designed a lot differently.   Could I put an 05-07 on my 02 if I bought a new power valve?  Or are there even more parts that need to be replaced possible the exhaust?

It would take a new cylinder, head, powervalve, and exhaust pipe.  The 05-07 exhaust pipe hooks up differently than the 02-04. 

Andyznet; I could do it for $400 shipped. That includes head, cylinder, pv, butterfly for the pfv shaft, piston and small rod end bearing. I also have a new head and cylinder base gasket id throw in. Everything but the head and pv have 3.4 hrs on them. Compression is 200 psi.

Andyznet; I could do it for $400 shipped. That includes head, cylinder, pv, butterfly for the pfv shaft, piston and small rod end bearing. I also have a new head and cylinder base gasket id throw in. Everything but the head and pv have 3.4 hrs on them. Compression is 200 psi.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd be inclined to put a new ring/rings on it, but that's only 20 bucks or thereabout.

Shouldnt need new rings, these ones have barely seated. Forgot to add that the exhaust flange is also included.