Sign in to follow this  

Today.

I went for a ride today and had two significant incidents happen. First a young woman decided to merge into me and nearly run me completely off the road, as I blare the horn, cuss and extend my middle finger she shrugs her shoulders and mouths "I'm sorry". Lol &%$#@! !!!! Second incident happens maybe thirty to forty five minutes later, a fool in a truck decides to pull out in front of me to the point my rear tire locked up and was perpendicular with my front tire as I slid helplessly towards what appeared to be a Chevy of some sort, luckily I didn't loose my cool somehow and was able to maintain composure and narrowly avoid careening into the side of his vehicle, needless to say he got a healthy dose of verbal and middle finger retaliation, he like the young lady had a stupid look on his face. It was exhilarating honestly.

Edited by jprince911
  • Like 1

Get used to it and accept it.  Every motorcyclist knows there are people out there that aren't looking for you and so you always have to be awayre  Accept that these things are going to happen.  If your going to get angry, it's not worth riding on the street.

Now you have learned there is plenty of room for a motorcycle and a car in the same lane, and that you need to learn how to use your rear brake (or need to adjust your rear brake).

Edited by toadl

Well I've been riding a total of maybe three weeks, so when you say learn well that's what I'm doing. I assume you don't get angry then? I have accepted it, as I said it was intense.

You have to be smart when you ride. You can NEVER assume everyone sees you and is going to yield. People have a hard enough time seeing me in my cage, they have an even harder time seeing you on a bike and are not going to be actively looking either.

Every time I see a cage at an intersection I pay attention to the wheels, as soon as they start to move I'm on the brakes getting out of their way.

My advice is to ride as defensively as possible and just ride like everyone is out to kill you.

Well I've been riding a total of maybe three weeks, so when you say learn well that's what I'm doing. I assume you don't get angry then? I have accepted it, as I said it was intense.

if your rear tire kicks out like that under hard braking then you are leaning or catching gravel man! I'm always dragging my rear brake for practice because of idiots like that (already been in one accident in my first 3 years of riding) anyways just practice those drags every so often and if it starts to kick out lean the other way, I know I can safely smash my rear brake at 50mph on pavement and keep the bike majority straight! Anyways you sound just like me I think my middle finger is up at someone atleast 1 time a week lol Edited by Decil Moto
  • Like 2

Right on man, it was a long slide for sure. A guy behind me at the next light said he saw the whole thing and was ready to be a witness lol. It felt natural to extend the middle finger.

• Like 1

Me wife works at a office of a very busy intersection in Los Angeles,  she see's accidents all the time,  the other day she sent me pics of a motorcycle rider who was hit so hard she could see him flipping in the air and landing at her job's front door,   some mid 30's woman hit him making a left turn,  she tried to say he ran a red light,  but witnesses quickly blamed her,   its very dangerous,    glad you are ok and were able to avoid it,  

errone be safe out there.

• Like 3

Damn that's horrible, I'd avoid that intersection if possible. NC is no Cali by any means but a dumb ass is a dumb ass is a dumb ass and they are everywhere lol.

someone merged inmy lane on the way to work today i just layed on my horn and and all that dude was doing is smiling i dont get whats funny lol

• Like 1

someone merged inmy lane on the way to work today i just layed on my horn and and all that dude was doing is smiling i dont get whats funny lol

That's not cool at all! I'm sure he was on the phone, applying lip gloss or something more important than paying attention.

That's not cool at all! I'm sure he was on the phone, applying lip gloss or something more important than paying attention.

i honestly think he didnt see me cause i pulled out the gas station and real quick and i think he just simply didnt see me cause i just appeared out of nowhere. haha i was waiting for that day to come that someone merged into my lane. 

You have to ride defensively if you want to survive on the streets… I always ride as if I'm "invisible" to other motorists.  When riding I look far ahead, I'm scanning, anticipating other driver's movements/reactions and never taking for granted my "right of way".  The worst spots I've noticed are intersections (car turning left in front of you) and when lanes merge.

It's a good idea to practice emergency stops and swerving… trust me, you'll need those skills one day.

• Like 1

just have to stay cool man, thats the best strategy .. getting angry or responding agressively on a bike usually isnt the best thing, alot of those over-fed, over-medicated, dribbling idiots with cell phones hanging on their ears are more than willing to use their vehicle as a weapon to at the very least threaten you and you wont win that on a bike ..

never make an assumption that people will or do see you. never over react. remember that even though you have a nimble faster bike.....they have something bigger and some people will use it against you if you flip them the bird or do something stupid. don't stoop to that level. there are asshats on the road that don't care, but very rarely do they actually want to hurt anyone intentionally. keep your distance, scan ahead and keep your temper to yourself.