Sign in to follow this  

Considering purchasing this CR250, is it worth the asking price?

CR1.jpg

CR2.jpg

CR3.jpg

CR4.jpg

CR5.jpg

CR6.jpg

CR7.jpg

CR8.jpg

CR9.jpg

It is from a dealership, asking price is $2,695.

My concerns are:

1. Roughly how many hours of use does the bike have indicated by the wear on the sides of the motor and brake pedal?

2. The asking price doesn't include tax

3. Is the price inflated because it's a dealership? Is an 11 year old bike really worth $2,695 plus tax?

They have the title. So this is a big plus!

Forgive me if these questions are dumb. Just wanted some opinions on the bike.

I'm going to offer to pay $2,400 out the door and see what they say.

Edited by Mikepagjr

You can't really tell how many hours, by looking. Some guys(me) are very hard on equipment. As far as the motor...gotta open it up. Consider the cost of purchasing a clapped out beater...Total engine rebuild. Suspension overhaul. The entire chassis gone through. New bodywork. It adds up REALLY fast. Don't forget your time...mine is worth something.

Knock off $250 for new tires. Radiators are straight with straight fins too. Likely newer plastics installed. Clutch cover wear is low. Kicker got some wedges taken out from hitting the footpeg. Seat may be original - the honda lettering wears off fast. Pipe is original but could have been a take off while he beat up another one and then placed this one on there to help low hour claim. 

I sold my 2002 CR250 for $1700 last fall and the motor was rebuilt with receipts/photos to prove it. That '03 for sale ain't worth $1,000 more than the CR I sold. $2150 if they put new tires on it. 

• Like 3

It looks like the original pipe , rear sprocket and front tire . If those are the original parts it cant have to many hours unless they were reinstalled for sale

How bad do you want it? Can you look past the decals or color or component brand to see the actual machine? 

True condition is hard to see...you have to look deep. Caliper mounts, pegs shifter/brake pedal and clutch basket are often overlooked as indicators to use and age. Most parts can be changed out for new...it's easy to make it "new" again.

Honestly that price may be a couple/few hundred high from private resale prices....depending on where you are market wise.

It looks nice though.

How bad do you want it? Can you look past the decals or color or component brand to see the actual machine?

True condition is hard to see...you have to look deep. Caliper mounts, pegs shifter/brake pedal and clutch basket are often overlooked as indicators to use and age. Most parts can be changed out for new...it's easy to make it "new" again.

Honestly that price may be a couple/few hundred high from private resale prices....depending on where you are market wise.

It looks nice though.

I have been patiently waiting for the right bike to come up. I do try to look for good indicators of actual use/abuse. But nonetheless, I am very inexperienced with buying used bikes.

I posted this one up because its from a dealership, and they say in the description that "they went over everything and it needs nothing."

Now I realize it may be dumb to trust these words, but I figured they are more trustworthy than a private seller from craigslist.

I would really like a 05-07 CR250, but I can't find one anywhere in my budget!

Edited by Mikepagjr

I love CRs, but I would have a hard time paying over 2K for any cr 250 of that vintage.  Looks like you are in NJ.  With all the population in the area, surely the 05-07 you want will turn up as we enter into the summer riding season.  

Usually a dealership will completely go over the bike to make sure everything is perfect. I think it's better to buy from a dealership IMO, if you get the right price that is..

Usually a dealership will completely go over the bike to make sure everything is perfect. I think it's better to buy from a dealership IMO, if you get the right price that is..

Not at all true in my experience. Dealers give 1/2 value on trades, clean them up and turn them. There may be a mom n' pop dealer that actually goes through a used bike before sale but I haven't seen it yet.

The last used bike I bought from a dealer ended up needing a new cooling fan 2 days later. When I asked for warranty they told me to go F myself.

• Like 2

I say it is worth it if you really like the bike of course the price is gonna be slightly higher at a dealer ship. If this bike is calling your name go for it in reality if you really love this bike who cares if you pay a extra 200 or 300 bucks that's a drop in the bucket of the the money you will invest in this hobby in the long run. There is always gonna be some one out there that will tell you they could have found a better deal or they bought there bike for cheaper. If you love the bike buy it and go make some memories if your not in a hurry and you don't feel this one is calling ya keep shopping. Looks like a nice ride.

• Like 3

Personally, I wouldn't. Just bought one just like it 2001 CR250 w/title, tons of extra parts/plastic/etc, less than 12 hrs on top/bottom rebuild clean as a whistle..... $1700.

Edited by NoFearManCR

Seems a little high to me I just bought a 99 cr 250 earlier this year for 1100 no doubt I love the bike it's a blast but i got mine with all new plastics brand new top end riser bars the whole package so spend your money wisely

attachicon.gifCR1.jpg

attachicon.gifCR2.jpg

attachicon.gifCR3.jpg

attachicon.gifCR4.jpg

attachicon.gifCR5.jpg

attachicon.gifCR6.jpg

attachicon.gifCR7.jpg

attachicon.gifCR8.jpg

attachicon.gifCR9.jpg

It is from a dealership, asking price is $2,695.

My concerns are:

1. Roughly how many hours of use does the bike have indicated by the wear on the sides of the motor and brake pedal?

2. The asking price doesn't include tax

3. Is the price inflated because it's a dealership? Is an 11 year old bike really worth $2,695 plus tax?

They have the title. So this is a big plus!

Forgive me if these questions are dumb. Just wanted some opinions on the bike.

I'm going to offer to pay $2,400 out the door and see what they say.

I think it all boils down to what you want to get out of the sport or are already getting.  For example, if you were new to the sport and say were my neighbor, I would offer to help you find a clapped out bike off Craigslist for under $500 or even less, put in about $300-$400 into it, and let you work your way up from there.  If all you want to do is ride them and not have anything to do with the mechanics aspect of them, and of course have the money, you're best bet IS getting something like this from a dealer where at least you have the option to take it back to them to get it fixed.  I very much doubt they'll give you a warranty on it as they do for new bikes, but at least they'll know it's a clunker they sold you when it break down.  If you ARE inclined to really get into the sport and do your own mechanic, then this bike is way over priced for my taste.  I don't know where you're located, but down here in California, thanks to thumpers, clapped out smokers are a dime a dozen.  So really the price would all depend on what you expect to get out of this sport and put into it.  Just my five cents worth, and I can pretty back up what I'm talking about as I have 6 in perfect condition smokers in my garage that I picked up next to nothing and only invested time and a little money to restore.  Here's a perfect example if say you were looking for a CR500.  I bought on a few months ago, guy wanted $1400, I offered $1200, the bike was sound and well taken care of, but most of all, to my surprise, the bike was updated with all 01 parts, so anyone looking at it would tell you right away it's an 01.  $1200 vs. almost $2700 is a far stretch.  And I was lucky on this one, I only had to invest about $100 for some spare parts off eBay.  The rest of my rigs were $100 a pop, and while I can't boast that I have the latest, I do have the variety of picking and choosing which bike I want to ride when I go ride and if that's not enough, I don't just take one bike out, I take three.  Where are you located? :devil:

• Like 1

Knew there would be at least 1 "that guy"

Congrats

It's not one, there's a while army of his who aren't dumb enough to fall into that "precious 00-01" bullshit and put that bike on a pedestal. 02+ can be made into fast controllable bikes relatively easily. Im not the only one who will tell you this.

congrats, for sounding like your average "pitts warrior"