2013-2014 suspension

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a brand new bike. My only reservation with choosing the rmz is the complaints about the stock suspension, mostly the harsh forks. Does anyone really like the stock stuff or should I factor in a revalve if choose this bike? I weigh 205lbs.

Edited by bryce716

It's amazing how much of the harshness of the fork can be removed by removing oil from the rt fork.  I changed the oil on my 13 with Maxima 5 wt and went 300 left and 250 rt and it was pretty plush.  Then I went ahead and had Motoworks do a re-valve and went 300 on each side.  I am back down to 270 ML in the rt side.  I am pretty happy and I am an old guy who likes plush forks.

Randy at Motoworks also says a shock piston is needed for MX or off road, stock X ring is too stiff and better for SX,  I have yet to try that, and since I tore an ACL last weekend is will be a while before I do any more testing.  

Bottom line, don't let the complaints about the forks hold you back.  If you are pinching pennies play with the oil and break them in and you will be surprised.  Also, the back is not that bad stock, just not as lively feeling as I would like.

Edited by 2old2Bfast

It's amazing how much of the harshness of the fork can be removed by removing oil from the rt fork.  I changed the oil on my 13 with Maxima 5 wt and went 300 left and 250 rt and it was pretty plush.  Then I went ahead and had Motoworks do a re-valve and went 300 on each side.  I am back down to 270 ML in the rt side.  I am pretty happy and I am an old guy who likes plush forks.

Randy at Motoworks also says a shock piston is needed for MX or off road, stock X ring is too stiff and better for SX,  I have yet to try that, and since I tore an ACL last weekend is will be a while before I do any more testing.  

Bottom line, don't let the complaints about the forks hold you back.  If you are pinching pennies play with the oil and break them in and you will be surprised.  Also, the back is not that bad stock, just not as lively feeling as I would like.

Thanx 2old, good info.

It's amazing how much of the harshness of the fork can be removed by removing oil from the rt fork. I changed the oil on my 13 with Maxima 5 wt and went 300 left and 250 rt and it was pretty plush. Then I went ahead and had Motoworks do a re-valve and went 300 on each side. I am back down to 270 ML in the rt side. I am pretty happy and I am an old guy who likes plush forks.

Randy at Motoworks also says a shock piston is needed for MX or off road, stock X ring is too stiff and better for SX, I have yet to try that, and since I tore an ACL last weekend is will be a while before I do any more testing.

Bottom line, don't let the complaints about the forks hold you back. If you are pinching pennies play with the oil and break them in and you will be surprised. Also, the back is not that bad stock, just not as lively feeling as I would like.

spot in info. All the 13-14 needs is fresh fluid and the right amount. Any RMZ for that matter. The bike will handle like a dream.

Just an FYI: it doesn't hold a candle to a revalve. Best mod that can be done to any of the bikes.

Sorry guys I went back to red and bought a 2012 crf450.

BUM!!! Got out of our forum with that crap!

j/k man. Congrats on the new ride.

Well, your loss man!  Good luck.