Sign in to follow this  

2012 500 xcw Cold start squeal

Hey everyone, 

This is my first KTM, and second 4t bike for that matter. Overall I am extremely impressed with the bike. 

After the bike sits for.. 2days+ when I go to hit the e-start button it fires right up, but in the initial start up there is a very loud squeal that last about 2 seconds then is gone and never heard again until the bike sits for a few days. This morning was the third time it has happened. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am at a loss for what it is, its a squeal/whistle sound.  My guess/hope is that it is starter related. Almost sounds like an extremely worn out (failed bearings) small electric motor (for any of you who have that experience haha) I believe it is coming from the left hand side of the bike although unsure as I was wearing my helmet.

I will kick the bike over tomorrow to see in the sound is still present. 

Thanks guys. 

I'm just guessing but I think the starter is the most likely culprit. Kick start it a few days and see if the noise is gone. If it turns out to be the starter, maybe it just needs a little lube on a bearing or bushing.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I pulled it out today and kicked it over and it started with no noise. I'll do this for a while to make sure.

Thanks for the reply.

I pulled it out today and kicked it over and it started with no noise...

Yours must start easier than mine.  I have never been able to kick start mine when it's cold, only after it's been warmed up.  Mine is just really hard to kick, and it's so tall.  It ain't easy...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

Yours must start easier than mine.  I have never been able to kick start mine when it's cold, only after it's been warmed up.  Mine is just really hard to kick, and it's so tall.  It ain't easy...

CADman_KS

I will admit this bike fires Right up. I have not figured it out yet but depending on the piston position you can kick it over, however most of the time it will stop right in the compression stroke where I don't think anyone can kick it over?

My 500' is currently in SM mode so its not very tall. 

Love this bike. 

I had to kick start mine cold a few weeks ago when the battery got too low from me playing with a new headlight in the garage too much.  It did take some kicking, but it did start.  I'm 6' and just tall enough to get a good kick at it, if you're any shorter I can definitely see how it would be difficult to get a good kick.  I had to kick it like I meant it, definitely not the easiest bike to kick start cold, but it's possible if you're determined. 

I had to kick start mine cold a few weeks ago when the battery got too low from me playing with a new headlight in the garage too much.  It did take some kicking, but it did start.  I'm 6' and just tall enough to get a good kick at it, if you're any shorter I can definitely see how it would be difficult to get a good kick.  I had to kick it like I meant it, definitely not the easiest bike to kick start cold, but it's possible if you're determined. 

While I have to kick it like I meant it as well, there seems like there is a LOT of drag on my kick starter in general.  Like most of the energy that you use to kick is taken up by the fact that the kick starter is resisting you.

With that being said, I don't know / think that there's anything wrong with mine, it's just hard to move...

CADman_KS

I know exactly what you mean.  My yz426 needed a purposeful kick too, but there seemed to be no resistance until the compression stroke.  But this KTM feels like there's just a lot of internal drag of some sort the entire time.  I'm thinking maybe the gear ratio on the kick starter is a little higher, so you're actually getting more revolutions per kick, which also means any internal drag is amplified.  That's my guess anyway. ;)