Sign in to follow this  

160 Rear Tire on a Honda XR650R Possible?

I got a free set of SM tires, but the Rear is a 160, and it looks like the chain will rub the tire pretty badly.  Has anyone successfully run a 160 rear on a XR650R?  If so, what did you have to do to make it work?  I could probably get the rear sprocket spaced out 1/8" using washers as shims, but I definitely don't want to do it unless Is there a way to space out the front sprocket too.  Any ideas?

I put a 160 on my KTM, and the tire was into the chain by about 1/8", so I took my electric planer to the edge of the tire, and in about 30 seconds it fit fine

• Like 1

I had one on my R some years back and it ate into the side wall pretty good, but not enough to do problem damage. FWIW

So after reading a bit (mostly on SM Junkie), I am thinking about trying a few things.  As stated before, it will be easy to put some thin washers under the rear sprocket to push that out a bit. I may have to adjust the chain guide, but we'll see.  I am thinking of having 1/8" milled off the center portion of the front sprocket to make it ride a bit further out on the CS, so the chain will run straight.  I will then probably also need to push the chain slider out as far as it will go.   Next, I will probably make the switch to a non-O-ring chain to gain another 1/16" to 1/8".  If that isn't enough, I may consider adjusting the spokes so the rim rides 1/8" or so further to the right.  Lastly I will grind the tire if still needed. 

Am I forgetting anything?

So after reading a bit (mostly on SM Junkie), I am thinking about trying a few things.  As stated before, it will be easy to put some thin washers under the rear sprocket to push that out a bit. I may have to adjust the chain guide, but we'll see.  I am thinking of having 1/8" milled off the center portion of the front sprocket to make it ride a bit further out on the CS, so the chain will run straight.  I will then probably also need to push the chain slider out as far as it will go.   Next, I will probably make the switch to a non-O-ring chain to gain another 1/16" to 1/8".  If that isn't enough, I may consider adjusting the spokes so the rim rides 1/8" or so further to the right.  Lastly I will grind the tire if still needed. 

Am I forgetting anything?

yes.

WHY???????????   What is this obsession some have with the widest tire? Phallic envy?  Mine came on the bike when I bought it and I thought it pretty silly.  It's a 300lb 45hp single for goodness sake.  You don't need the same rubber (nor can you use) as a 150hp, 450lb bike.  ;)

The correct way is to pull the rim to the brake side for more clearance.  You probably should be running a 5 inch rim for a 160 tire.  Is this a track bike or a street bike.

XR 650's do well with Bridgesstone 150 BT003 on the back. Many of the 160's are just too wide. The conti attack 160's are skinnier however they don't grip like the BT 003's. I would rather use a tire that grips well other than a larger size.

yes.

WHY???????????   What is this obsession some have with the widest tire? Phallic envy?  Mine came on the bike when I bought it and I thought it pretty silly.  It's a 300lb 45hp single for goodness sake.  You don't need the same rubber (nor can you use) as a 150hp, 450lb bike.   ;)

No obsession, the tire was FREE.  I am replacing the sprockets and chain anyways, so getting a non-o-ring chain is a "no-brainer", and adjusting the rim to ride more to the brake side is FREE, Grinding the tire is FREE,  I will probably only move the drive over as a last resort, but I have a buddy with a Lathe & Mill, so milling the front sprocket is FREE,  Adjusting the chain slider is FREE.  Putting a few washers under the sprocket might cost me a few pennies, though.  This is just a fun project to go canyon carving, not for the track, so when I buy my next tire, I will probably opt for a 150.

No obsession, the tire was FREE.  I am replacing the sprockets and chain anyways, so getting a non-o-ring chain is a "no-brainer", and adjusting the rim to ride more to the brake side is FREE, Grinding the tire is FREE,  I will probably only move the drive over as a last resort, but I have a buddy with a Lathe & Mill, so milling the front sprocket is FREE,  Adjusting the chain slider is FREE.  Putting a few washers under the sprocket might cost me a few pennies, though.  This is just a fun project to go canyon carving, not for the track, so when I buy my next tire, I will probably opt for a 150.

Sorry to lump you in with the endless parade of motard jockeys wanting the absolute biggest tire they can wedge in there.  Handling be damned.  LOL 

Sorry to lump you in with the endless parade of motard jockeys wanting the absolute biggest tire they can wedge in there.  Handling be damned.  LOL 

No hard feelings here!

I'm running a 7.5 x 19 Maxxis DTR-1 dirt track tire on mine on a 2.75" x 19 wheel and it fits.  7.5" equals 190mm, but it doesn't seem that wide.   :)

The Maxxis on the stockish size wheel really balloons and is nowhere near as wide as a street oriented 160 on a 4.25-5" rim.

I will say that DTR-1 hooks up like a slick.  I run one on a sportsman set up and it definitely works well.  The 21" front is the problem.  There are no decent 21" sticky fronts.

Have you tried these Avon vintage road race tires?  They come in 21 and are quite sticky!

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/non-dot-race-tires/speedmaster-race

Let me rephrase.  There are some decent 21" fronts but nothing that will compare to a 16.5 front slick set up.  The front tire/wheel combo is the limiting factor on a sportsman setup.  Also I am referring to track/racing scenarios.

I'm running a 7.5 x 19 Maxxis DTR-1 dirt track tire on mine on a 2.75" x 19 wheel and it fits.  7.5" equals 190mm, but it doesn't seem that wide.   :)

HOLY SMOKE that's a WIDE ASS TIRE on a SKINNY LITTLE RIM!!!!!!!!

Did you mount that yourself?

I can't imagine a shop mounting that setup (and assuming responsibility).

Some stretched bead there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I mounted it myself, but...dirt track tires are much taller and more rounded than road tires and this one is meant to be mounted on a 2.15" to 3.5" wide rim.  Go to a dirt track race and check it out, it's great racing.  Here is more info on the tires, they work well for SM:

http://www.aaracing.com/tire_technical_information.aspx

HOLY SMOKE that's a WIDE ASS TIRE on a SKINNY LITTLE RIM!!!!!!!!
Did you mount that yourself?
I can't imagine a shop mounting that setup (and assuming responsibility).
Some stretched bead there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Let me rephrase.  There are some decent 21" fronts but nothing that will compare to a 16.5 front slick set up.  The front tire/wheel combo is the limiting factor on a sportsman setup.  Also I am referring to track/racing scenarios.

Of course no 21 is going to work as well as a 16.5 slick, besides the compound, the smaller wheel changes the steering geometry radically!  And the tire I suggested IS a race tire, I would not have suggested it if you were looking for a street tire.

• Like 1

well I just put on perelli scorpion 150.70.18 on my xr250l and have 3/4 to1" a side to go i could have goten a 160.70.18 on easaly just ran down the interstate all good gps said 120mph.