Sign in to follow this  

Mod it or Sell It

I have been riding super moto on the track much more and leaving the sport bike in the trailer. The guys I ride track with are all on 450 conversions.

I am trying to figure out if I should sell the DRZ and build a 450 supermoto or build the DRZ, with big bore kit, brakes suspension and so on.

In the DRZ's current state I can't ride with them, nor can I race it in the class they race in.

I would be racing for fun not looking to be on top of the box but don't want to be dead last.

My 2013 is super clean and I already have a buyer.

Just not sure if I should go with building the DRZ or build a 450.

If I did go 450 I would try to get it plated as I commute to work on the DRZ.

Thanks

Too much money to mod the DRZ just to get it near a stock 450. However, for a commuter the DRZ can't be beat. Can you manage getting a 2nd bike just for the track? Sell your sports bike and use that money for a new 450?

• Like 2

I'm kinda where you're at and for now I'm deciding to keep the drz and not build it up any further. I thought about getting a street legal 450 conversion, but that is nearly impossible in Illinois. Maybe when this motor blows up I can build the motor up all the way and try to lighten the bike up more.

• Like 1

Too much money to mod the DRZ just to get it near a stock 450. However, for a commuter the DRZ can't be beat. Can you manage getting a 2nd bike just for the track? Sell your sports bike and use that money for a new 450?

+1 on this. You can get 60hp out of the DRZ and it will still be a pretty reliable commuter but it's still going to be significantly heavier than a 450 in a racing scenario.  Keep the DRZ for commuting / road work and sell the sport bike to get a 450 sumo.

• Like 4

+3 

• Like 1

+1 on this. You can get 60hp out of the DRZ and it will still be a pretty reliable commuter but it's still going to be significantly heavier than a 450 in a racing scenario.  Keep the DRZ for commuting / road work and sell the sport bike to get a 450 sumo.

Could not agree more, I bought my DRZ for reliably commuting around and street work. It is honestly not the fastest but if one of the funnest things with bars in my shop. And in Nebraska sadly I cant plate up a 450 :( or I would have done it. I think I may add a 500EXC to my stable though...not for everyday but when I want to go play around on weekends and such.

• Like 1

i just did bb cams fcr, and i wish i didnt spend the money tbh. id get a 450, hondas seem to be the most popular for supermoto where i am at least. lots of options with ktm as well. the way i see it, you would spend the money on the drz and be disappointed as i was. like the others said keep something for commuting because a plated 450 race bike is expensive to rack up miles on. maybe a 690 would be a decent bike to do both with i hear they are pretty reliable and have a great motor, might be a bit heavy but if the bikes geometry is good it wouldnt be too bad 

Maybe when this motor blows up I can build the motor up all the way and try to lighten the bike up more.

Hope you plan on keeping the DRZ a loooong time.

• Like 1

"You can't turn a pig into a thorough bred, but you can have a damn fast pig," Jerry Titus (Sports Car Graphic editor / Trans Am driver) comment on 1966 Trans Am cars.

• Like 1

I decided to keep the DRZ and not build the 450 all at once.

I will make the 450 build a 2 year project so I don’t have to sell the DRZ or gixxer.

Going with the Suzuki RM-Z450.

• Like 1

I will make the 450 build a 2 year project so I don’t have to sell the DRZ or gixxer.

Even better. Keep us updated id love to follow the build

Will do, I am researching what parts I plan to use for the build. I was going to buy a kit but I think it will be more fun to build it my way.

I am still going to try and get it plated.

Good Choice .. The RM Zee is a fine Bike

• Like 1

I like how you think!

Save the SM for the track, rather than racking up commuter miles.

I still plan to get it plated, I won't commute with it but it would be fun for those after dinner stress relief rides.