Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZF250 Starting issue.

Recently purchased a 2001 YZF250, cant start it.

I can maybe kick it and get lucky with the choke on and get it idling. Once i turn of the choke it dies and is almost impossible for me to start. Also when kicking there is abnormal amounts of resistance.

1. Brand new top end

2. Changed spark plug

3. Cleaned carb

4. Drained old fuel, filled with premium now.

5. Oil is new

6. Cleaned air filter

7. Toyed with the idle screw.

Nothing has worked. Suggestions?

What have you set the air fuel mixture screw to??

Also have you done a compression check?

Did you do the build and if so what condition are the valves in?

Air to fuel mixture screw is stock. I didnt think it would be a compression issue. Since it sometimes runs with choke on. As soon as choke goes off, dies.

Edited by Vlix

With starting the 2001 & 2002 there is a certain drill you need to do to start them. They are a PITA at times during kicking. I just recently did the top end on my 01 and put in the 03 exhaust cam which has the autodecompression on it. World of difference, just as easy to start as a 2 stroke now.

I have been attempting to start it by pulling the decomp lever and pushing the kick past the compression point, then letting go of the lever and kicking from below the compression point.

Today i had it running with the choke on after turning the air fuel mixture screw the the guy who we bought it from had it 6 and a half i lowered iy to 1 and a half. Still not idling without the choke.

Edited by Vlix

I took the carb off and cleaned it well with carb cleaner and compressed air.

just grab a new pilot jet and throw it in. Cheap to buy and if thats not it then its not like you are out a whole bunch and you will have a spare. Then back to the drawing board. Take a look at all of your jets in there and write down what each one of them is. Post up some numbers and perhaps we can help more.

Something not right there. I would pull the carb and clean it. I think you are masking an issue there. Does it run alright through the gears with the mixture screw adjusted like that?

It is super hard to kick, when it does get running you can ride it normally through all the gears no problem, if you're riding and you turn the choke off it pops. It tries to die with no throttle.